Chapter 7

REWRITTEN

CLOVER

I set my diary down at the sound of the little knocks on my window. Almost like rocks. Leaping out of bed, I darted to the window to find him there. He was so attractive that it felt illegal with those black clothes and his hair a mess. His eyes sparkled in the moonlight.

"You ready for the night of your life?"

I laughed and told him to give me a second. I quickly dressed in light blue jeans and a grey shirt. Yet when I checked myself in the mirror to adjust the shirt, I was aghast by my complexion: dilated pupils, cheeks with a hint of pink to them, and a glow to my skin.

Is this what happiness looks like?

In a rush to see him, I skipped steps on the ladder, only on one of them for my foot to slip. The roof was high enough so if someone fell, they'd sure break their back, if not for the reasonable bruises.

Thankfully, I managed to grab the handles at the last second. Fright rippled through me and my body wouldn't cooperate with me about taking the last three steps.

Let go... let go, you can do this.

But apparently I'd been dating a hero.

Arms came around me while I was tugged to a rigid chest. My fingers got loosened; he laced them with his. He lifted me by the waist and his exhilarating scent stuffed my every sense. With a firm hold on me, he climbed down. But he didn't let go after taking the final step.

"I'm sorry. I was just..."

I froze when his soft lips pressed to my ear. "It's okay, you're okay."

The sound of his voice was enough to calm my pummelling heartbeat. Logan put his hands on my shoulders to turn me around.

Logan and I had only known each other for a couple of days, but for some reason, he already felt like the safest place on earth.

"I'm fine. I just freaked out, but I'm okay now."

Our eyes clashed. Before, I wasn't the person ever comfortable with looking people in the eye. But like everything else, this varied with him. The act felt too intimate, but with him, it clicked right.

"Good," he murmured, threw an arm around my shoulders, leading me to his car.

His height didn't help at all. His five-foot-eleven height higher than my five-foot-five.

Logan opened the door for me like a perfect gentleman. I wanted to squish his cheeks. This was our second date, and he was already the most perfect guy I had come across. But him being so nice was bad. If he was too nice, then my feelings would skyrocket.

Although I wondered whether it was his goal: for my feelings to escalate.

I couldn't have us to become a reality because then I would have had to accept these feelings. I would have had to push all my fears away and be with a guy, whom I did not know a lot about. It was too early to put my trust in someone whom I had not known for a long while. I was scared of getting hurt since this had happened more times than I could count. Long in the past, but with fresh wounds.

Logan postponed my thoughts. "You okay? You spaced out for a while."

"Yeah, but it's just that..." I cleared my throat. "Logan, I don't think this is a good idea. Maybe I should go back home. This is never going to work out and it's not even a good idea. I think we should end this."

He had that shy smile again. "This is the best you've got: because you think this will never work out and that it's not a good idea? How do you know it isn't? Are you a fortune teller?"