Chapter 21

REWRITTEN

CLOVER

A ghost of a smile. The weak arms. Not mine.

"Can I help you?"

That tilt of his head, the way he used to when he'd admire me from afar.

But that tone in his voice, it gripped me by the lungs, breathless and ready to leap into his arms, to take root inside him.

"I said, can I help you?"

Not mine. Not mine. He's not mine.

Breathe.

"You don't know who I am, do you?"

When did I realize this? When he blocked my number? When he tried to kiss Zoe? When he opened the door with no recognition on his handsome face? When he chose to stay home with Jackson for weeks?

Logan shook his head, frowning. "Am I supposed to?"

Breathe out.

Awkwardly, I ran my fingers through my hair, making sure the necklace was visible. It worked. His gaze scrutinized it. "Yeah, we're kind of dating."

"Oh yeah?"

"Do you believe me?"

He tilted his head. "Either that or you stole my necklace. Mom gave it to me for my –"

"Fourteenth birthday," I finished, watching that light in his eyes. "So you can keep it for yourself or give it to someone you really care about."

"Christ," he breathed, moving out of the doorway. "Why don't you come in? I need to sit down for this."

I had to squeeze past him because he didn't give enough space in the doorway. A trail of heat surpassed between us as my chest grazed his, looking straight into his smoky eyes. He may have not recognized me, but his body did. You can erase a mind, but you can't alter two bodies seeking each other. He led me to the couch in the living room, disappearing into the kitchen to prep us coffee. I sat there for three whole minutes, uncomfortable, adjusting my skirt. He returned with two big mugs, pouring us half glasses of coffee, half milk.

Then he froze, glimpsing over at me.

"You knew how much I wanted?"

"I think it's the amnesia. Memories just hit me at random times. But I haven't recalled you until today."

Ouch.

"How did you get the amnesia?"

He shifted in his seat, lifting his shirt enough to show a scar. An ugly, sharp scar that was still in the healing process. My mouth went numb, reaching out to graze the scar, but he lifted it down in time. "I was stabbed a few weeks ago and I hit my dead. Someone broke into our home and stabbed me and my parents."

"What?"

His parents had been dead for more than that.

"Logan," I said, leaning forward. "Your parents weren't killed that night. They were killed a year ago, well, almost. Who told you about what happened?"

He angled his head, backing away. "My brother."

That goddamn bastard. Jackson was behind all of this. He'd probably not mentioned anything about me on purpose to manipulate his way back into Logan's life. His plan worked. His lies and deceit.

"Logan, what year is it?"

"2008, why?"

For fuck's sake!