Chapter Seventeen: Alone Together

The Christmas Holidays came sooner than I had expected. All of a sudden, the streets were decorated with Christmas trees and flashing lights. It even began to snow a little. It all happened very quickly, without my noticing. Sort of like my relationship with James. One minute it was nonexistent, and the next, it was everywhere. He was all I thought about. 

The Holidays were unfortunate for only one reason: I could no longer see James on a daily basis. Gone were the stolen smiles as we passed each other on the corridors. We exchanged numbers on the last day, so we could keep contact. It wasn't long until I was spending most nights in my bedroom, my phone glued to my ear, talking to him.

"I miss you," I sighed, for the hundredth time.

"I'm very tempted to ask you to babysit for me again, Allison."

I laughed. "Yes, very tempting. Oh - I forgot to tell you. I told my mom and Walter that I'm spending New Years Eve with Georgia. They said that was okay, so I guess we have the all clear."

"Great," I could hear the smile in his voice. "I'll pick you up in a black van on a deserted street wearing a ski mask."

I laughed. "Very subtle."

"Subtle is my middle name."

"What is your middle name?"

"William."

"James William Halter," I smiled. "I like it."

"Well, what's yours?"

"Grace."

"Allison Grace Rousseau. I think yours is much better."

There was a knock at my door. Instinctively, I pulled the phone away from my ear, hiding it under my bedsheets. The door opened, and my mother appeared. She had shopping bags hanging from her every limb - It was Christmas Eve, and she had just returned from her annual last-minute shopping spree.

"What are you doing up here all by yourself?" she asked, with a curious smile. 

"Um, nothing really," I shrugged.

"Anyway, I just wanted to give you this," she raised the bag in her hands. "I was shopping for myself, but then I saw this dress, and couldn't resist buying it for you. It's perfect for Frederick's party, don't you think?"

She smiled at me, revealing a stunning lilac, lacy dress in her arms. It was beautiful - but I wasn't happy. I had completely forgotten about Ryan's Dad's party. Fear surged through my body. I had a very bad feeling that my plans with James were about to be ruined.

"Um, mom, when is the party?"

She glanced up at me. "New Years Eve, sweetheart. Don't you remember?"