o c h o

Rye's Pov
monday 18th december
7:03pm

i lay on my bunk bed with faith asleep on my chest. she had fallen asleep watching Riverdale. it's all we'd done all day pretty much.

brooklyn and mikey were sat watching something on mikeys laptop on jacks bunk and Mia was fast asleep on brooklyn's lap. Jack and Andy were having a disney marathon on andys bunk. it was cute how close Mia and brooklyn were becoming..

i still felt bad for what had happened earlier today.. i guess i just need to stop worrying so much cause i end up assuming things. Mikey and Faith were getting close and for some reason.. it scared me.

"Rye what's wrong" i hear a whisper from beside me. i look down at faith who had now woken up.

"nothing im fine" i tell her and she frowns.

"don't feel bad about earlier okay? it wasn't your faul-" she's interrupted by her phone ringing. the boys look up from their laptops at us both.

"sorry.. i'll get that" faith climbs out of my bunk and picks up her phone, freezing when she looks at the screen.

"who is it?!" i ask worriedly.

"i- um, it's the army base.." she stutters and my heart drops. please don't be bad news.

faith's PoV

my hands become shaky but i answer the call and hold the phone to my ear.

"hello?" i answer. last time they called was in february, Max had injured his ribs and had been shot in the shoulder, and had to come home. the only good think about it was that he was back for his birthday, he had time to rest and mia and i got to see him.

"Faith Summers? good evening, it's Lieutenant General Johnson, long time no talk" a serious voice comes through the speaker. i think it's max's friend cameron..?

"yes sir.. everything okay? what can i help you with" i ask nervously. the boys stare at my curiously, Mia just yawns and looks around confused.

"miss summers i'm so sorry" is all it takes.

"what happened, how bad is it this time" my voice cracks and i hold back my tears. Rye takes my free hand in his.

"i'm so sorry" is all he says and that's when i realise.. that he was gone.

"h-how.." i manage to ask, now crying, the boys all look at me worriedly as rye pulls me into his chest.

"aunty faith?" Mia asks confused.

"shhh Mia.. come with me and uncle mikey" brooklyn says, i nod and the three of them head out.

"there was a raid at one of the base camps in Afghanistan earlier this morning, around zero four hundred hours, we lost good men, faith i'm so sorry, you know how hard this is for me too, we were friends, max and i, he was a rank below me but we worked together, he was a good man, strong, a real fighter. i'm so so sorry" He tells me.

A/N- zero four hundred hours is military time for 04:00am

"does my dad know?" i ask quietly.

"yes, one of the other generals stationed in florida where he's now based alerted him. faith we have you covered, you and mia, we'll send out the packages tonight, all soldiers have them prepared the minute they sign up, they know what they get themselves into, it's a requirement, they make sure if anything happens their families will be okay" he tells me.

"thank you, cameron?" i say, i think i remember max telling me his name. hearing these words made me feel proud of my brother.. i don't think it's fully hit me that he's gone..

"yes, it's cameron, faith max was like my brother too, he would always tell me that he'd look after my family if anything happened to me and asked me if anything happened to him that i'd look out for you and mia, and i'm doing that. the packages.. im guessing i need to change the address? you moved this morning?"

how did he- GPS. never mind.

"i'm staying with friends, yes change the address if that's okay.. thank you and i'm sorry you had to be the one to tell me.." i say, still in tears.

"we keep tabs on all the families sorry, gps locaters in cars and phones are included.. we both heard about Mia too, he was so happy.. the head general was allowing him to go home in a months time.. i'm so sorry, i'll mail the packages out tonight. i'll keep you updated on um the funeral.. a lot of men were lost.. were giving them a proper send off for their bravery, dedication and hard work they have shown. stay safe, take care" cameron says, ending the call.

i stay silent and just hug rye crying. he held my close, hugging my tightly. Jack and Andy soon joined us, probably not knowing what's happened, though they assumed it was bad considering the circumstances.. but didn't ask anything which i appreciated.

he was gone.. Mia's dad.. my brother.

Max was gone..