Chapter 68 - Sitting Room

Start from the beginning

Edward was leaning against the hull of the Belladonna looking very annoyed to be there. He was shirtless and his torso bound in white rags. The last time Sky had seen him he had been covered in blood, now his hair was wet, making it look darker and he wore a fresh pair of pants. When we saw Sky walking over to him his whole face lit up.

"I was wondering where you were." He grinned at her and sat up a little higher. Around them people spoke quietly. "I was a little upset when I woke and you weren't watching over me." He winked at her. Sky knew he had meant to as a joke but as she sat next to him and felt guilt.

"I'm sorry Ed." She looked down at her hands in her lap. "I was thinking. I had to clear my head."

Finger tips lifted her chin and Sky saw Edward looking to with serious eyes. "Hey, I owe you my life. I would have bled to death if you hadn't acted so quickly."

"You owe me?" Sky shook her head as Edward let his hand fall. "Ed, you were the one who jumped in front of me remember?"

"Ah." Edward looked away on tapped his chin with his left hand. "I did, didn't I? So I guess this means you actually owe me."

Sky laughed and rolled her eyes. "Let's call it even."

"Even?" Edward laughed back. The colour had returned to his face and his eyes were bright. Sky hadn't known how close he had been to death and it wasn't something she wanted to think about. "You know, technically you wouldn't have needed to save me if I hadn't save you in the first place."

Sky lifted a brow at him.

"So you do owe me." He grinned and tilted his head to the side. "How's this sound, if we ever have to sand railings again, you take my share?"

Her gentle laughter warmed the berth deck making it seem a little less gloomy before she paused sobering. "Your arm."

Edward's smiled dropped slightly too. He looked down at the limb sitting against his leg. He lifted it before them both and a tinge of pain crossed his face before he covered it. His arm extended down from his strong exposed shoulder down to his elbow. Where his wrist would have been Sky could see Edwards face as he looked down to his missing arm. Bates had amputated where Sky had buckled the leather strap so that half of Edward's forearm still remained. It would be easier for him to adapt than if bates had taken the whole arm. The stump was bound in an old shirt as the bandaged were needed elsewhere.

"I passed out before he removed it." Edward seemed almost perplexed by his new disability. His eyes flicked to Sky's face. "Well, I guess he finished removing it. King Patrick had almost finished the job himself."

Sky placed her hands on his leg gently wanted to saw something. Not for the first time she wished she possessed the right words to console her friend. She didn't need to though because it seemed Edward had enough words for them both.

"I guess it's a small price to pay for something so special." His light brown eyes shone as he looked towards her making the young woman flush. "You owe me nothing Sky. I want you to know that." Sky smiled at him and wanted to hug him but was fearful she'd hurt him. Instead she leaned forward and kissed the top of his head. "Hawk on the other hand, owes me a great deal I'd say." Edward smirked wickedly at something behind her.

"It would appear so." Sky looked over her shoulder to see Dustin standing above her with his arms crossed across his chest. "But as it were, there is no other hand, so I also owe you nothing."

"Dustin!" Sky snapped, outraged at his quip. Behind her Edward laughed. The two men smiled at each other.

"Thank you Edward." Dustin said with an honest face. "For keeping you promise."