A Day Off

"You uh...you wanna get a drink?" was the first thing Tony asked when he finally, reluctantly pulled away from Pepper's lips.

She grinned at him, her smile warmly accepting his invitation, and soon they were headed back toward the bar. Tony ignored the girls with prying eyes as he leaned on the counter, ordering them two drinks, and then gently took her hand in his and squeezed it. Pepper blushed at the contact, looking around the room and forcing an awkward smile at the people she knew from work.

"Is this making you uncomfortable?" he asked, his eyes sparkling with amusement as he turned back to Pepper.

"It's...different," she answered, settling on an acceptable word.

"...good different?" he pushed.

She raised an eyebrow and took a sip of the second martini he ordered her as he grabbed ahold of his scotch with his free hand.

"So far," she teased.

"Just wait until later."

Tony's eyes burned into her with mischief darkening them as he pressed the glass to his lips. His usual smirk was plastered on his face, tugging at his lips. He was focused on her, and only her, but she liked it. She returned the playful look with one of her own, until they were kindly interrupted by Rhodey, who placed his hand on Tony's shoulder in a friendly gesture.

"I was beginning to think you weren't going to make it," he teased his friend.

"What?!" Pepper gasped at his words. "You knew he was coming?"

Tony grinned widely, proud of himself for keeping the secret.

Rhodey let out a small laugh and shrugged. "He's a man of many secrets."

"Come on, Pep," Stark added, "you think I wanted to go a week without talking with you?"

"Well, it wasn't really a whole week... You could've answered my calls."

"It wouldn't have had the same effect."

She set her glass down on the bar. "You're right, I would have been much, much less upset with you."

Tony opened his mouth to respond, but the trio was added to as a familiar face stepped into the group. He sighed and rolled his eyes, clenching onto Pepper's hand tighter at the sight of the Vanity Fair reporter.

"You know, we should just make this an anniversary," Stark muttered as he locked eyes with the blond.

Christine forced a smile back cooley, but held a formal tone. "Mr Stark," she greeted. "Miss Potts. I was hoping for a statement."

"On?" Stark asked, focused now on his glass.

"I'm um...gonna head out," Rhodey decided, gesturing between the two as the tension grew. "I'll see you in New York?"

Stark nodded. "Yeah. Give us like...two weeks? Two weeks sounds good."

"I'll call you," Rhodes agreed before leaving them alone with the leech.

Pepper mouthed 'two weeks' back at Stark as a question, but never got an answer. Instead, he cleared his throat as Everhart pressed on.

"How do you think this newly announced relationship will effect the order at Stark Industries?" she jumped in, holding out her recorder.

Tony stared at it instead of her. "I think I'll want to go to the office more often," he offered.

"Are personal relationships...accepted at work?" Her eyes narrowed.