Reputations

Everything was dark, except for a dull flame to the right. A shadow of a few bars stuck up in front of it. A chill filled the room, temporarily blowing out the source of heat. Silence. Then, a rattle at the door as someone or something tried to jam it open.

Tony woke with a shudder, his eyes wide and panting as though he had just run a marathon. It was just a dream; just the small parts left behind from Afghanistan that occasionally still haunted him. He blinked and rubbed the sleep out of his eyes. It had to be early, but it wasn't unusual; he was used to not getting enough sleep. Then, a weight shifted on his chest and he panicked momentarily before realizing what wasn't a dream.

Soft, red hair draped over his chest near the blue light radiating from the arc reactor, keeping him warm.

Pepper.

He glanced down at her, suddenly careful not to touch her. She was curled up on her side, holding onto the sheets with one hand and her other rested on his stomach. Her head was carefully placed on his chest. Stark wasn't used to such a circumstance; it wasn't every day he woke up with his assistant sleeping on him.

He glanced under the covers quickly to make sure nothing happened past what he remembered from the night before.

Still clothed.

Swallowing, Tony contemplated what to do next. It wasn't how the fell asleep – he did remember that. Should he wait for her to wake up? No, that wasn't how Tony Stark operated. But it was Pepper, and she was different.

Sighing, he remembered the plans for the day; Jarvis hadn't woken them up yet, but he could get a head start on figuring out just what the hell to say at the press conference. Happy would be there bright and early, surely at least to check up on him.

Happy.

Stark groaned. How would he explain this one to him? There would be no keeping secrets now, especially if Pepper wasn't ready by the time he arrived.

Making a decision, Tony attempted to roll out of the bed without disturbing Pepper. She shifted, but allowed him to leave without issues. Then, he fumbled his way sleepily into the walk-in closet.

"Jarvis," he summoned when he had closed the door behind him.

"Good morning, sir."

Then, the lights turned on and blinded him.

"Time?"

"6:33 AM, sir."

Another groan from Tony; the alarm wasn't set to go off until seven. He hated not being able to sleep, but there was no point in trying to get comfortable again, especially with Pepper still in his bed. It was weird enough that they were now sort of a thing – waking happily with her would make too much else change too quickly.

Tony pulled off his shirt and bumped around until he managed to pull a clean dress shirt off a shelf. He ignored the fact that he was still wearing jeans; it wasn't like him to be formal about anything Stark Industries or Iron Man anymore, anyway. Besides, Pepper was usually his stylist, but he wasn't sure if she still held that job title after the previous night, and to be honest, the press was lucky if he was even sober, so he was already one up on them.

He exited the closet quietly after locating a pair of comfortable shoes. Pepper was still asleep, so he shuffled out of the room and headed down to the main floor to get something to put in his stomach. He was met with a surprise as he entered the kitchen.

"You're here early," Tony grunted, only briefly letting his eyes land on his driver.

Happy was waiting, snacking on a piece of toast, at the island. "And you're awake early. And dressed, I'm impressed. Jarvis let me in."