Taming Tony Stark

Pepper rushed to swipe her Stark Industries badge through the security component on the computers inside the lab as Rhodey placed Stark on the nearest surface: one of Tony's experiment tables. Natasha dumped the items settled on it on the floor to make room for his body. Frustrated, Pepper finally let out an exasperated sigh as the computer granted her access. She pinned in Tony's code, and after a few moments, she was able to locate the location of what she was looking for...the brace Tony had used on her the day she was attacked.

Pointing towards one wall of the lab, she instructed Rhodey to retrieve it. "No questions, just help me out," she begged.

Then, Pepper fumbled with Stark's shirt, unbuttoning it so she could get a better look at the arc component.

"Why is it still flickering?" Nat asked, concern coating her voice.

"Beats me..." Pepper murmured, placing a hand on Tony's cheek while she waited for Rhodey. It was still warm, thankfully. "How am I gonna keep up with you..." she whispered, saddened.

"This what you're looking for?" she heard Rhodey ask as he approached, holding up the prototype with a confused expression.

"Yes!" she gasped, grabbing it and feeling for a button on the side to release the closure so she could guide it over Stark's shoulders.

Rhodey and Natasha watched, holding their breath. Pepper hoped the device would work as well as it had with her, but she knew nothing about how it functioned or what it could do with his arc implant. It was her last option; thank God Happy had reminded her he had begun storing prototypes in the lab.

"Come on..." she breathed, waiting for any sign of life in the reactor.

It continued to flicker, but after a second, she let herself drop her forehead onto Tony's chest in relief as the familiar blue glow took over and he gasped for a breath.

"One of you guys wanna tell me what the hell that thing is?" Rhodey asked, commenting on the thing saving Tony's life.

"Something he was working on with Jarvis. Using the vibranium element he replaced the old arc with," Pepper answered, taking Tony's hand in hers. "He saved me with it after the suit was stolen."

Rhodey took a deep breath. "Remind me to get that from him. The military would pay big time for one of those."

Pepper smiled but didn't bother to respond; she was just relieved she hadn't lost him. She let her hand wander through his fluffy, unruly hair, noting he could use a haircut; she would have to schedule that - Stark still wasn't domesticated enough to make his own schedules.

"How are you feeling?" Natasha asked Pepper, removing her eyes from Stark.

"For being knocked out twice this month...pretty good," she joked lightly.

Rhodey dropped his faceplate suddenly, remembering the outside events. "I gotta go do cleanup."

"Can you grab the suits while you're at it?" Pepper asked, remembering that all three Marks, including the stolen one, were still out on the street. "I'll let you keep that one, off the record," she winked.

Rhodey raised an eyebrow, challenging that order. "Good luck talking him into it."

"I think I can figure something out."

Then, Natasha stood, the monotone scale returning to her voice. "Clint's boarding Avery onto the jet. Fury's got dibs."

Pepper nodded, understanding. Quite honestly, she wanted nothing to do with him, anyway. She wanted to put everything past her...past them. It was definitely time for things to change.