• { 2 } •

I walked back home. My house was only a few blocks away from my school, so my parents didn't think it necessary to drive me. Not when they were busy with work.

I arrived at my house, unlocked the door with my key, and disabled the alarm before taking out the form. (Which I continued to fill out). Once I was finished I reached into my bag and took out the book I had put there this morning.

Reading was one of my favourite hobbies. I was especially a fan of the fantasy genre, mostly because I wish I could do the things that heroes would do in their books. Reading transported me to a different world where I was a hero, I could do all of those amazing things, where I would save the people and then live happily ever after. Often I wished those things could actually be real and maybe even happen to me.

I read for about half an hour before I heard the front door open. My parents were here, along with my little sister.

Her name was Charlotte and she was the best  sister I could ever ask for. She was 7 years younger than me because our mother had trouble having children, but I was glad to have her. I heard her yell "Cassie!" Before coming to hug me. I hugged her back.

Me and her were similar, yet not. We both had similar faces, but her hair was darker than mine, more of a chocolate brown while mine was lighter. Her eyes were hazel while mine were an ordinary brown. She would be a beauty one day.

I finally let go of my sister and stood up. Charlotte hurried upstairs, probably to talk to her friends over the phone. She only had some school for one more day and wanted to talk to them as much as possible before the break. I turned to the doorway. My parents were there, talking.

My dad, known by most as Mr. Winters, ran very successful juice company and my mother worked as a marketer. Despite them both having very well funded and wealthy jobs, saving on money was always appreciated by them. I approached them.

"Hey mom, dad! Check out this form I got at school. It's about this new thing called the Level 5 Program-"

My parent's eyes snapped to mine before going back to each other's. My dad spoke, "Let me see this form, Cassie".

Even though his tone sounded mad, I took the form off the counter and handed it to him. He looked at it for a few seconds before narrowing his eyes. Then he showed it to my mother, who had a very similar reaction.

I just stood there, confused. Why weren't they happy about this? The Level 5 Program could get me into a great school, all free of charge. How was this not a good thing?

My father cleared his throat and said, "Cassie, this isn't really necessary, is it?" I mean, your mother and I have savings to get you into a perfectly good school-"

"But not for free," I interrupted. "If I pass the test then I can go to a great school and then you will be able to keep those savings. If you think about it, I really should go to this school because my marks were really, really good this year. Here, I have my grades on my phone".

I showed them, and even though I could tell they were impressed, they also looked concerned. I was suddenly glad Charlotte had gone upstairs. This would not have been very good for her to see.

"What is with you two?" I asked. "I mean, you guys are acting like it's a bad thing that I got these marks."

My father gritted his teeth. "It's wonderful sweetie-"

"Then why aren't you happy about it?" I asked. "It's none of you concern."

"None of my - what is that supposed to mean? I don't understand why you can't just feel happy about this-"

"Cassie," my father interrupted. "That is enough." Then he started ripping up the form.

My mouth dropped. "What- why-"

"No more questions! You are not entering that program, and that's final! Now go to your room."

"But-" "Go, now." I looked to my mother pleadingly but she was staring at the form at wouldn't meet my eyes. I thought I saw something clear and shiny in her eyes before I turned away. I picked up my bag and went upstairs to my room.

I shut the door quietly and then rushed to find my laptop. It was a good thing I had made a copy of that form, and that it didn't require a parent signature.

*A Few Hours Later*

I sat at the dinner table with my family. Charlotte was talking to our mom about school, but me and my dad were silent. He kept glancing at me and opening his mouth to say something, but he kept closing it again. I resisted the urge to ask him what he wanted to say, but I was pretty sure I knew what it would be about.

Finally he spoke, "Cassie, about that conversation we had earlier..."

I looked up at him. "Yes?"

"Listen, I want you to know that, that me and your mother... we love you very much. And... we're just trying to protect you, sweetie."

I smiled at him. "I know that, Dad. And I love you too."

The rest of dinner had a much lighter atmosphere, but at the same time there was a heavier weight on my chest. Because even though I knew my dad disapproved, I was gonna hand that form in.

They'd thank me one day.