• { 22 } •

Light stung my eyes as I opened the door; I covered them with a hand.

Once my eyes adjusted, I uncovered them. I was in what looked to be a giant department store, except everything in here was for animals. There were cat condos, luxury bird cages, rows upon rows of food and toys-

My thoughts were interrupted as I heard a tiny "Mew". I looked down.

At my feet was the most adorable kitten I've ever seen.

She had black fur was as dark as night. Her small little paws were extremely fluffy, as were her ears. And her eyes. They were big and wide, and a brilliant blue-purple; the same colour that my skin had glowed upon touching the orb in the spirit room. (I didn't know how I knew the kitten was a girl. Probably the same way I knew how my eyes changed colour).

I reached down to let her sniff my hand. She seemed to take it in stride, actually skipping the sniffing and just rubbing her cheek against my palm, purring slightly. I picked her up, holding her in my arms like a baby and stroking her fur gently. She fell asleep in my arms almost immediately.

I heard someone clear their throat. I turned, taking care not to accidentally drop the small, sleeping kitten in my arms. Professor Rosewood stood there, looking amused.

"I see you got a young one. Impressive. Usually familiars that small wait for a long time before choosing their owners. You got lucky." I blushed.

"Good job establishing the bond," she continued. "Usually it takes a student much longer to find their familiar." I smiled down at the kitten in my arms.

"Do you have a familiar?" I asked. Professor Rosewood nodded. "Yes. Although he doesn't like people much, so he mostly stays in my office."

My eyebrows furrowed together as I thought of something. "Professor?" I asked. She nodded simply.

"Why did you call them pets before, but familiars now? And why give us familiars now? Some of us won't make it... what will happen to the familiars... if their owner..." I couldn't finish.

She sighed. "Calling them pets is easier for most students to accept. In reality, they are not normal animals, they are familiars. Something completely different. As for your other question..." She sighed sadly. "If a familiar's owner is kicked out of the school, the familiar will disappear. They revert back into their spirit form and wait for a new owner."

I nodded slowly, looking down at the small kitten in my arms. I didn't want to do that to her. I wouldn't.

"You know your eyes were glowing as we went down the staircase, right?"

I frowned. "Yeah, I realized that."

"From what I could tell, it seemed to be a reaction to your fear of the dark."

"I'm not afraid of the dark," I said. Professor Rosewood raised an eyebrow, but said nothing. I looked down at the floor. "At least I wasn't before," I muttered.

"Have you ever tried to control it?" She asked suddenly.

I tilted my head. "Control what?"

"Your eyes."

I almost stepped back in shock. "I-no, I haven't."

"Maybe something to try out," she said. I heard a groan as the door behind me opened, and another student stepped out. Professor Rosewood gave me one last look before going over to them.

I became conscious of the kitten in my arms. I needed to get her supplies. Grabbing one of the shopping carts of my left, I headed down into the first aisle.