Chapter 6

Work surprisingly goes quickly and I suddenly realize that I haven't planned where I am going to park my car. As I am packing up my things, I run into Ash, who is covered in grease and sweat.

"You look good," I say, "is that how you get all the ladies?"

"Yeah, you know it is," he says winking.

"Well, I'll see you tomorrow yeah?"

"Yeah, goodnight sis, drive safe. Text me when you're home safe."

"Yeah, yeah, sure thing."

I slip out the back door and turn my car on blasting the heat. I wish my car had butt warmers, but beggars can't be choosers. At least I have a car. I plug my phone into the aux cord and brainstorm where I want to sleep for the night while Said the Sky plays in the background. I decide to park a block behind the school since I'll have to go there anyways in the morning and turn my headlights as I reverse out of my parking spot.

I pull out of the parking lot and turn onto the main road. It's pitch black outside and I end up turning on my brights, the street lights not illuminating the deteriorating road enough. I make it about a block before another car joins me on the road. It's not until I turn onto the road where my school is that I start to think that the car might be following me. I decide to take a quick random turn and the car turns as well. I'm in a residential neighborhood now and I keep making right turns until I make it back to the main road. With the car no longer behind me, I relax and turn right to make my way to the school.

Just as I'm passing the school's front parking lot a car speeds through the intersection that I am passing through and I slam on my breaks and jerk the wheel hoping to move out of the way in time. The car hits the passenger side behind me and sends me spinning out of control.

My mind goes blank as I try to think of what to do. Everything seems to slow down like someone hit the slow-motion button on my life and a ringing sound in my ears feels like it is about to burst my eardrums. My head slams into my window and the ringing stops. I realize that the ringing was the sound of myself screaming. Dazed, I slowly make out a large shape coming towards my car and I cross my arms over my face as the cars slams head-on into a light pole.

My seatbelt locks as I go flying into the windshield jerking me backward and whipping my skull into my headrest. I realize I am screaming again when the cement light pole crashes into the passenger side of my car collapsing the roof of the entire right side of the car. I place my hands above my head holding the left side of the car's roof up so that it doesn't crush me.

My head is pounding and my whole body aches as I struggle to keep the roof up. The salt from my tears burn my face as they hit the cuts I must have received from the windshield. I am trying to think what to do but the adrenaline coursing through my body is making me hyperventilate. I try to take deep breaths, but every breath I draw feels like someone is stabbing me.

I look around for my phone, but I can't find it. Surely someone must have heard the crash and called 911, right? Okay, Lyssa, calm down, breathe, breathe, breathe. I remove one hand from the ceiling and it groans. I reach for the door handle, but the door is crushed slightly and I can't open it. The window is cracked obscuring my view from the outside and the windshield is in the same state.

I try to turn my body around, but my seatbelt won't budge. I swap hands and reach with my right hand to try the seat belt buckle. It's been crushed by the pole and I can't do anything to unfasten it.

"F*CK," I scream starting to hyperventilate again kicking the floor. I don't like small spaces, and this space is getting smaller and smaller by the minute.

I suddenly remember that there was another car involved and I start screaming help at the top of my lungs, hoping the other person in the car is in a good enough state to help me.

I freeze when someone taps on my window.

"Oh my God! HELP! Please," I cry.

I flinch as they start punching in the glass. Why didn't I think of that?

When just enough of the glass has cleared for me to see outside I stare into the face of the last person on earth that I expected to be helping me.

Darren.

I freeze where I am and stare into his cold dark eyes. I'm speechless, I can't even open my mouth to scream and I am left stunned.

"Hi Lyssa," he says with a smile. "It's been so long, you look so grown up. My God, you're beautiful."

He smiles and steps out of view. I try to look through the hole in the window but I can't see anything. Terrified, I turn in my chair trying to see through the back passenger window but I can't make anything out. My breathing out of control, I start to see spots and pray to God that I will just pass out and wake up from this nightmare.

Just when I think I'm going to pass out, I hear him climbing onto the hood of the car and he starts to punch in the glass. F*ck, why isn't there an ambulance coming? This is it, isn't it? This is the end?

_______________________________________________________

Muahahahahha, sorry not sorry for the cliff hanger.

xoxo

Elodie