Chapter 29 - Pillars of Darkness

With both the Conqueror and the God of Pain having descended into the Abyss, the only two living beings on the surface are the broken and shackled Ikolas, God of Shame, and Ramiro's loyal battle steed, Uriad. Standing off to the side, away from the battlegrounds, Uriad patiently waits as his master does battle with the Gods of Misery. Obedient, Uriad has not interfered in this fight.

A freezing cold wind travels across the surface of the Abyss, and Uriad shutters slightly at its frosty bite. The battle steed becomes startled as it feels a cold and gritty touch upon its hide. Uriad catches a glimpse of a small cloud of black sand being carried in the air.

The battle steed begins to rise onto its hind legs and kick its front legs wildly as to ward off this unknown being. All of a sudden, two concentric circles appear in the air and form a band above Uriad. Within the band, hieroglyphics write themselves onto the air. The band and the hieroglyphs are black in color, engulfed in an eerie green flame.

Like knives scratching a board, a voice boldly speaks, "Circle of Rituals... binding spell!"

 binding spell!"

The band of burning hieroglyphs rapidly descends, phasing straight through Uriad, and smashes down onto the ground. The horse is standing right at the center of the circle of dark magic. All four of Uriad's legs are forced onto the ground.

Paralyzed by this binding spell, Uriad cannot move. Only its nostrils flare as the battle steed exhales forcefully from its nose. Again, Uriad feels the cold and gritty touch of black sand upon its hide. Soon, a man completely covered in a black hooded cloak forms out of the cloud of black sand and reveals himself to Uriad. The man stands near Uriad head and further pets the battle steed under its chin.

In a very casual tone, the same voice addresses Uriad, "Easy, now. Easy. You have no need to be frightened. We are friends."

Uriad's eyes widen with surprise. The battle steed remembers seeing this strange looking man before. Years ago, the battle steed remembers this man to be a beggar who approaches Ramiro and Uriad from the shadows of the great stone steps that lead up to the Temple of Misery.

The mysterious beggar continues, "Remember me now? I actually saved your master from death that night, and because of it, I had him start on this incredible journey of his."

The beggar laughs briefly and then resumes, "After countless centuries and after countless lackeys, only your master was strong enough to make it up to the top of the mountain and claim the magic of the universe. What your master has done today marks the beginning of an age of chaos, and I can finally return to my own master."

The mysterious beggar laughs again, but this time, much louder and in a frightening tone. The beggar flicks his wrist and waves his hand. The dark magic of the Circle of Rituals spell vanishes, and the beggar explodes into a cloud of black sand. In an instant, the cloud of black sand gathers itself and reforms into the shape of a dark imp, a monstrous humanoid being with dragon's wing, sharp fangs, claws for hands, and massive bat ears on the top of its head.