Chapter 3 - Blessings from the High Priest

High upon the cliff side over Vylkarion, Noroth and the other priests have been praying tirelessly to the statues of their idol gods for the success of the Temple in battle. A guard enters the tent and walks to the rear where Noroth has been in prayer before the statue of Cazzayus. The guard kneels onto the floor of the tent in the presence of Noroth and announces, "All hail Noroth, high priest of the Temple of Misery. I bring you news from the battlefield, your holiness. The right hand of Cazzayus has slain our enemy. Kondria is dead, and the war machine has been taken. Vylkarion has fallen. Praise be to Cazzayus."

Silence befalls the tent for the first time in days as the priests hear this good news. Noroth turns from the statue of Cazzayus and faces the guard kneeling before him. Pleased with the news, Noroth smiles and responds, "Praise be to Cazzayus, indeed."

Noroth steps forward, stands next to the kneeling guard, and places his hand lightly upon the guard's shoulders. Looking down, he says to the guard, "Thank you, my child. This is excellent news."

He then takes his hand from the guard and brings both of his hands together before him with palms and fingers touching. He looks at the other priests standing within the tent and dictates, "Cazzayus has heard our prayers and has brought us to victory once again. Vylkarion has become one more nation that shall serve the Temple. Come now, brothers. The time for prayer is over. Let us join the men in the valley below."

The guard then rises and proceeds to escort Noroth along with the other priests out of the tent. The priests are greeted by more guards and are each escorted into six separate horse-drawn carriages. One by one, each carriage is brought down the gravel path towards the valley below.

In the carriage at the front of the convoy, Noroth sits with the guard who greeted him within the tent. He stares out the window of the carriage and gazes upon the battlefield below in the valley. Looking over the remnants of battle, Noroth speaks "Vylkarion has experienced a great loss today. Like we have done with the many nations before Vylkarion, the Temple will rebuild this land to be worthy of serving the Gods of Misery. There is nothing that can stop the glory of the Temple. We continue to spread our influence across this world. It is only a matter of time until we conquer the kingdoms to the east."

The guard with Noroth responds, "The power of the Temple is undeniable, and the glory of Cazzayus is absolute. Forgive me, my lord, for saying this, but... without the help of the Conqueror, how will we defeat Caizzod and kingdoms to the east?"

Noroth quickly turns to face the guard and sharply addresses the guard, "Do not doubt my rule as high priest of the Temple, Ahrahk. Ramiro is but one man. If he truly wishes to leave us, then so be it. We do not need him. I have hundreds of warriors at my disposal."

The carriages transporting the temple priests arrive onto the battlefield. As the priests and their guards depart from the carriages onto the battlefield, they are greeted with the sight of misery. The bodies of fallen soldiers lie all over the valley, both Temple soldier and Vylkarion soldier alike. Soldiers of the Temple no longer hold their swords but, rather, the arms of fellow soldiers suffering from injuries obtained from battle.