29: Science Project

Start from the beginning

     I giggled. "Yeah, you're right. Thank you, Dani."

     "Of course."

     My phone began to vibrate. "Oh hold on, I'm getting another call."

     "Who is it?"

     "Reed?" I said in confusion.

     "Woah throwback to school which was only like a month and half ago."

     "I'll call you back."

     "Kay kay!"

     "Hello?" I answered.

     "Hey!" Reed said cheerfully.

     "Hey Reed...care to tell me why you called?"

     "I know, it's very random. I was just thinking about you and wanted to know how you were doing!"

     "I've been better. Summer has been insane. It's a long story." I laughed.

     "I'll have to hear it sometime."

     "How are you?" I asked.

     "Amazing! Life without high school is so much more enjoyable! And my girlfriend and I are getting along so well, it feels just like the good ol' days, but better."

     "That's so great. I'm happy to hear it." I said sincerely.

     "Are you with that guy yet? The one you ditched me for at prom." He chuckled.

     "Kind of, that's apart of the long story."

     "Ahh, I see. We'll have to get coffee sometime and catch up."

     "Totally."

     "Alright, talk to you soon, Arabella!"

     A genuine, adult, pleasant conversation with Reed.

     Have I entered an alternate universe?

     I had thought about opening up to Reed when he asked how I was, but I didn't feel like explaining or talking about it. There was just too much backstory that Reed doesn't need to know. Sometimes certain friendships were made to stay in high school. I also didn't feel like calling Daniela back, so I texted her.

Me: He just called to catch up, no biggie

Dani: He's still one of the hottest guys from Rockwell High. That fact will never change.

Me: Don't let Kade see you sayin' that

     That evening I continued to read to distract myself, but it wasn't working. I hated the fact that I hurt Darren. I was so stupid to not get rid of that journal. Honestly, I had forgotten I even had it. It was one of the many books in a pile upon my floor. I never thought anyone would look through them. I just feel like if I could talk to him about why I started the journal, he'd understand. He even admitted he put me through a lot. Getting to know him was like knocking down twenty walls; once I got him to open up, there was just another wall standing. I picked up the book and began to tear up the pages in anger. Then I recycled them because I'm a good citizen who cares about the environment. (Pls recycle thank you).

     My mom had arrived home from work. "Hey, honey. Where's Darren? Dinner will be ready in an hour."

     "He's not here. Probably at his cabin."

     "Well can you call him or go get him?"

     Oh yeah, fun fact. My parents got him a brand new cell phone which I was very thankful for. I never had a way of contacting him before.