9: Oh my Goat

Not edited

I ran outside to check the mail just like every morning. I sighed out loud, still nothing.

     The nameless boy came to my mind, I want to see how he's doing. I walked around the backyard and went into the Forest. He was sitting by the tracks, looking rather sad. "Hey," I said walking towards him.

     "Oh, hey." He said after glancing at me.

     "Are you okay?" I asked.

     "It's acting up today. I'm hearing the voices." He confessed.

     "Oh...I'm sorry."

     "I'm used to it." He shrugged. "How did that date go?"

     "Surprisingly good. He's not as terrible as he seems."

     "Interesting."

     "Yeah. I'm never going on a date with him again though." I chuckled.

     "Smart girl."

     I smiled and sat down next to him. "Do you wanna do something today?"

     "What do you mean?"

     You know..hang out or something."

     "Oh..maybe. Where would we go?"

     "Wherever you want. We could go to a cafe, bowling, anywhere."

     He paused for a moment, looking down at his feet, then up at the sky. It felt like an eternity as I waited for him to speak. His expression looked confused, yet concentrated. His eyebrows furrowed, giving away the fact that he was deep in thought.

     "Does that sound good?" I asked feeling quite awkward.

     "Why are you doing this?" He asked with a negative tone.

     "Doing what?"

     "Trying so hard to be my friend."

     "Is that a crime?" I asked in defense.

     "Why don't you just leave me alone?" His voice now on the bridge of anger.

     "Whoa, what's wrong with you? I just asked if you wanted to hang out."

     He breathed, seeming to calm down. "I know, I know; Sorry."

     "We can always hang another day if you aren't up for it..." I suggested.

     "I'm just not used to this. I've been practically friendless my whole life; then all of a sudden, this gorgeous girl starts talking to me and wants to hang out and get to know me. It doesn't add up." He sighed not making eye contact.

     Wait. Did he just call me gorgeous?

     I slightly blushed. "You...think I'm gorgeous?"

     "You know you are." He scoffed.

     "No...but thank you. I don't think it doesn't add up. I just think you haven't let anyone in, but you're beginning to let me in. You're afraid, aren't you?"

     "I have a reason to be. You don't know me. You don't know my secrets."

     "That's okay. I'm not asking to know them, but is asking to be your friend too much?"

     "I guess not."

     Progress. "Okay, so what do you say we get out of here and go somewhere." I smiled.