28: At Least There's a Bright Side

I was fidgeting nervously in my chair waiting for Darren to arrive at the police station. Judging on yesterday's conversation with him, I had no idea whether he'd show up or not. All I could do was hope, for my own good, that he did.

     "If he doesn't show in thirty minutes we're going to have a problem." The detective said firmly.

     I started tapping my foot, anxiousness flooded over me. He has to show up. There was no way the police could get to him unless I gave away his address, which he would never forgive me for.

     About twenty minutes later I heard footsteps approaching down the hallway. The door clicked open, and that's when I saw him.

     "I knew you'd come." I smiled at him sympathetically. He didn't smile back.

     "Hello son, please take a seat right here." The police escorted him to a seat beside me.

     "You understand why you're here today correct?"

     "Yes, sir." He answered.

     "For now we just need to get some answers and we advise you tell nothing but the truth for everything you say can be held against you at court, do you understand?"

     "Yes, sir." He repeated with his head down.

     "Alright. First off, is it true you have no family? No contact or phone numbers, addresses?"

     "None. I was abandoned."

     "Do you have a birth certificate or social security card?"

     "I believe my parents still have them." He said still looking towards the floor.

     "Could you tell me your name?"

     "I'd rather not..."

     "Is it true you didn't tell the Mental Health institution your name when asked?"

     "Yes, but they didn't push me when I told them I wouldn't tell. They just put me in anyways."

     "What is your reasoning for the animosity?"

     "I just don't want to be traced. I don't want to be labeled. I don't want my family to find me ever again and I don't want to be put in some foster home. I can live on my own without a name just fine."

     "You understand this is a pretty obscure way of thinking, yes?"

     "Maybe to most people, but it makes perfect sense to me."

     "and you have schizophrenia, correct?"

     "Yes, but I'm working on getting it under control."

     "Which he's been improving on greatly. I've seen it!" I budded in.

     "Please don't interrupt Adams. Let the boy speak for himself."

     I nodded shyly.

     "She's right. I had one bad episode. I can guarantee it won't happen again. I also never harmed anyone so I don't know why they were so quick to lock me up and drug me in that place."

     "My guess is they were simply worried about you hurting yourself, kid."

     "Yeah, I can understand that." He said softly.

     "Well, from what I see you're a good kid. Unfortunately, I have to report you to the CCS since you're still a minor."

     He sighed loudly and clenched his jaw. My heart pounded hard in my chest.