14: In the Morning I'll Walk Away

I woke up to the sound of birds chirping. As my eyes fluttered open, my heart jumped when the room I was in didn't belong to me. I looked over to find the nameless boy still sound asleep. Oh yeah! I spent the night. I thought about waking him up, but he looked so peaceful and I didn't want to disturb him. Since it was Saturday, I was in no hurry to leave or get up, so I let myself fall back into a nice slumber.

     "Arabella." He said walking towards me.

     "Please don't leave me," I said.

     "Leave you? You're the one going to the other side of the United States." He said angrily.

     "I know, but we can make it work. Is there any way you could come with me?"

     "It's all about you, isn't it? You don't care about anyone around you. You don't even have the guts to tell your parents that you've accepted the letter and approved it. And your friends, you turned down Avery just for him to go with that terrible ex of his just so you could go with me, after I explained that proms weren't my thing. You don't even care to hear your sister out when she feels alone and needs you most."

     "Don't, please. That's not true, I-"

     "You're selfish, Arabella. That's all you are. You may be smart and pretty but at the end of the day, the only person you care about is yourself. That's all you are, Arabella."

     "Please, please don't say that!" I cried.

     "Arabella."

     The tears fell from my face as I felt my world crashing down around me.

     "Arabella!"

     "Arabella!"

     "What?" I jumped. His hands were on my shoulders and he had a concerned expression upon his face.

     "Were you having a nightmare?" He asked.

     "Uh, yeah. Yeah, I guess I was. It felt real though." I said catching my breath.

     "Story of my life." He scoffed.

     "What time is it?"

     "About eleven." He said after glancing at his radio.

     "How did you sleep?"

     "That was the first good night of sleep I've gotten in ages." He smiled.

     "Really?" I asked as my eyes lit up.

     "Yeah. I didn't have one nightmare at all. I slept like a rock."

     "Maybe it's because you've been lonely. Sleeping alone every single night can do that to you, you know." I said as nicely as possible.

     "Or maybe the fact that you were in my arms. I felt...comfort."

     "Me too." I smiled.

     "Too bad this can never happen again." He sighed.

     "Why not? You can tell me anything. I don't understand what could be such a secret. Are you in the FBI or something?"

     He laughed. "No, no. I just can't. Besides, you don't need someone messed up like me getting into your life. You've got your future set up and ready. I'll find my way. I have things to do."

     "What kind of things?" I asked.

     "Again, I can't say."

     "Dude, you're killing me here," I complained.