Forgetting the Fame and Glory

Chapter 6

The next morning, Fiona could sense the change in Brick. She had gotten up with the express purpose of getting to know him better. It had been only one night, but she was sure that they could get along. However, by his frank attitude, she could tell that was not his plan. It was a Cinderella act except the phone was the clock striking twelve.

As he escorted her to a meeting with her agent, he stood as far as he needed to guard her without abandoning her. She ignored the physical distance because at least he still called her Fiona. Yet after the meeting, he was once again the same if not worst. Maybe it had been a rough morning. She had her days as well.

"Would you like to get some lunch? You look like the burger type. I know the best Mom and Pop joint around the corner." 

"Fiona." He said her name like a reprimand. She frowned. What had she done wrong? Is he not a person? Does he not eat?

"You must not forget that I am a bodyguard. I am not your friend that you do lunch with."

"Fine, but I am still hungry. We are going anyways." He just shook his head, but he followed her anyways.  

Sure enough, when they rounded the corner, they found a nice upscale diner that seemed to fit in the rest of the upscale neighborhood. It had the traditional 50s look of red paint and metal siding. Inside, the decorations were the same as his grandpa would describe the diner in his childhood. There were booths with red leather seats and matching Formica tables.  Off to the other side was a bar with the same red material covering swivel seats. The theme extended to the decorations of records and old Norman Rockwell paintings as well as the time-appropiate white waitress uniform with bright red aprons.

Fiona liked that this simple diner was normal. No way, a movie starlet would be caught eating in a diner. She pulled his hand toward the booths. He shook her hand off and headed to the booth beside her. While the few patrons there didn't notice Fiona because of their seats at the bars. As soon as Fiona sat down at the booth farthest to the right, it seemed all suspicions had been confirmed. Sure enough, a pair of guys stood up quickly, ready to approach her.  He stood up and headed to the seat across from her. The men slowed as they saw Brick's glare, but didn't stop.

It looked to be a pair of college boys. That explains it. Reckless kids. The first guy to approach was a blond with glasses. His friend pushed him forward.

"Um, you are Fiona Delafield, right?" Fiona let out the typical radiant perfect for the camera type of smile that all celebrities seemed to have. Still Brick knew that her smile was probably more genuine than most.

"Yes. I am." The boy's friend nudged him again, but he seemed to be starstruck that Fiona had even deigned to talk to him.

An African- American guy with short, cropped hair stepped forward. "Could my friend have your autograph?" He took the piece of paper the stunned boy was holding and held it out.

"Sure. Just let me find a pen and I will get that signed for you." She rummaged through her cream Coach purse until she found the pen she always kept just for this occasion. She always made sure to have a working pen ever since she needed to give her very first autograph and couldn't find a pen in sight. That fan had some stubbornness and stuck with her until they found one.

She took the paper and looked at the still stunned boy.

"Who does he want me to write this out to?" His friend smiled as he patted his friend on the back. The guy woke up from his trance and yelled his name.

"Charlie. Can you say to my good friend Charlie, please?" She nodded and ,in her best handwriting, wrote out the message with her signature. Charlie snapped it up quickly as if it would slip away. He stared at the paper with awe, only stopping to mouth 'thank you' to his friend.