A Day In The Tabloids Again

Chapter 20

“I must admit we were a little surprised to hear that you were interested,” said Carl the producer. 

“Doesn’t seem like your type of movie,” added Rena. 

“That is exactly why I wanted to work on this project. I feel it is time to mature in my career. When I saw this, I was riveted. It is brilliantly written, Mr. Lewis.” 

Mr.  Lewis blushed in return as he fidgeted in his chair.

“We are looking forward to working on it.  We don’t have any set people just yet, so why don’t you go for it? Page 10 when she finds out about her husband’s 'secret activities',” said Rena. Everyone began to  flip through the script. 

"I can do this. I have done it before," she thought.

Fiona began to perform the first couple of lines. When she looked up a few minutes later, she could see that the group was unimpressed. Some were looking downright bored. 

“Could I take a quick breather?”

“By all means,” waved Rena. Fiona slipped out and stood in the hall. She knew that she was not getting it. The problem was why. Yesterday, she had done so well and she didn’t even want that role. 

“It is because you are trying too hard. It is coming off desperate or forced. A tad overdramatic,” said Brick. He was leaning on the wall beside her. 

“What do you know about acting?”

“I know what good acting is and I’ve seen you do better. Try it again.” 

“I don’t need you to . . .”

“Yes, you do. You obviously can’t do this on your own. Yesterday was probably a fluke. Maybe this is your best. Maybe the critics are right.”

She flinched and then stepped forward with anger. 

“I can do this. And I will show you.” She pulled open the door and walked back inside. 

“Can I do it again?”  Rena looked at the other two men and shrugged. 

“Sure.”

This time, Fiona remembered the emotions running through her as she read the script for the first time. She remembered her anger at Brick. She used that anger and projected that onto the husband of the movie. Then, she just read. She could see the scene in her head. It was just like in high school when it was fun and challenging. When she finished, they were impressed. 

“That was so much better. I don’t know what you did, but it was . . .wow.” 

“Rena’s right. That was so much better. We should definitely talk,” said Carl. 

Steven nodded his head and spoke, “We might need some adjustments, but I can see a good partnership.”

The meeting continued. They talked about the time commitment, the pay and other things. Still, most of the time was spent on talking about the movie. Talking about the setting. Or the other possibilities for the roles. Fiona was excited. The team was excited with her. She almost forgot the plan, but she remembered why before they left. 

When they were passing a couple of interns, she trying to slip her hand into Brick. Just like she expected, he rejected her before letting her squeeze his hand. Some of the interns tried to avert their eyes, but Fiona needed them to look. So she leaned closer just as the group passed by one last intern. This one obviously looked like she did not want to be here. Her eyes lighted up when she noticed Fiona. She did not feel the need to hide her admiration. Perfect!