"Yeah, it's just-"

"Alec, I'm kind of on a date right now".

"I know but I really need you".

Jace sighed, "Okay I'll be there as soon as I can".

When Jace hung up Alec sank into the sofa in relief, but it was short lived when his phone beeped again alerting him to another text from Jonathan. Alec didn't want to read it but he couldn't help.

'How long do you think it will take for Jace to tire of you and realize you're just a burden?'

Alec felt tears roll down his face, Jonathan was right. Alec had spoiled Jace's date, and after nearly losing Simon Alec knew that Jace would want to spend as much time with him as possible and he ruined that. Izzy had just quit her job when her boss was horrible to Alec when he visited. He had nearly ruined Magnus' evening with his friend. He was just holding everyone back. He was a burden.

Alec jumped when the door opened a few minutes later and Jace came in. Alec quickly wiped his tears but not fast enough for Jace not to notice.

Jace joined Alec on the couch and put his arm around him.

"Alec, what's wrong".

Alec looked away, "Nothing".

"You're lying, I know you're hiding something", Jace said.

That made Alec look at him, "What?"

"Izzy does as well, what's going on Alec? Please tell me".

Alec automatically looked at his phone afraid of receiving another text from Jonathan, but thankfully none came. "I can't tell you Jace".

"Yes you can, you can tell me anything".

Alec sighed, he really wanted to tell Jace. But he was afraid he'd do something stupid and put himself in danger. Alec would never forgive himself if Jonathan hurt Jace because of him.

"Not this time, I'm sorry".

Jace was about to protest but was interrupted by someone knocking on the door. Jace sighed and was got up to answer, but Alec grabbed his arm.

"Wait, I don't think you should answer".

Jace gave Alec a confused look, "Why?"

Alec wanted to say that it could be Jonathan but couldn't. The person who had knocked, knocked again causing Jace to automatically go to the door. Alec was frozen. He wanted to run in case it was Jonathan but he couldn't make himself move. But to Alec's immense relief it wasn't Jonathan.

"You're Jace Wayland right?"

"Yes, why?"

"I'm Valentine, you wanted to meet me son".

Jace's eyes widened in shock. He had been secretly trying to find his birth parents. He had gone back to the orphanage he had grown up in until Alec's family took him in. He had discovered that Valentine had given him up for adoption, but he had refused to tell the orphanage the reason for it. Jace had wanted answers and to meet his father and had contacted Valentine asking him to meet with him. But Valentine hadn't replied, and Jace had been thinking about giving up after multiple tries of contacting him. So he certainly hadn't expected Valentine to show up at his door.

"Y-you came?"

Valentine smiled warmly at Jace, "I wanted to meet you. I'm sorry I never replied, but I was too afraid to".

Jace smiled back, "It's okay I understand, I'm just glad you're here. Um come in".

"Thank you" Valentine said and caught Alec's eye.