You're the best thing that happened to me

Start from the beginning

"Its going to be okay. Don't worry." I said squeezing his hand a little to calm him. He held his father's hand but he didn't let mine go.

We stayed there in silence waiting for his father to wake up. I didn't want to speak or make any noise that would disturb his father so I decided to take the couch behind. As soon as I started walking behind Ayan pulled me back and held my hand. He didn't say anything but I knew he wanted me to sit there and I did.

"When I was a kid everybody would say that I looked just like my father and that I would be a ladies' man just like him. He would laugh loudly and say that I was much more handsome than he is and then ruffle my hair. There was not one thing that I asked for and I didn't get it." He said to me but his eyes were still fixated on his father.

"What went wrong then Ayan? How did you become so distant? How did you develop so much hatred towards him?"

He sat still not saying a word. For a minute I got nervous. Maybe I asked the wrong question. I was nobody to ask him such personal questions.

"We were a happy family and in a moment everything got ruined. I remember times when we sat in our living room watching football. Laura would just jump onto Dad's lap and complain of how much she hates football. Dad would kiss her on the cheek and then change the channel. She would stick out her tongue and tease me about how Dad loves her more than me and then Mom went to the kitchen to make me my favorite pizza. I would sit next to her watching some chick drama but eating the most amazing pizza in the world. The look on her face was priceless. She got so irritated." He started laughing loudly like he was replaying the memory in his head.

They seemed like a happy family. I remember my childhood when Dad treated me like his princess and Jake was so jealous of me. When Dad passed away all of it seemed to go away. Jake suddenly changed for a free spirited boy to a responsible man. I missed our family so much and I could understand how Ayan felt at that moment.

"The moment they decided to part ways our whole family got ruined. My whole childhood was ruined and I somehow blamed him for everything. I was angry because I thought he was the reason that our family wasn't together anymore. I was so blinded by my anger towards him that I never gave him a chance to explain." He said and the smile which he had disappeared and his face showed an expression of guilt.

"Ayan, we all make mistakes in life and its okay to make mistakes. You learn when you make mistakes and mistakes don't make you a failure. You're a failure when you lose the courage to correct those mistakes. It is not too late to correct your mistake." He looked at me for a second and smiled. He seemed really convinced because his face was not sad anymore.

"His hand just moved. Look Cookie, his hand just moved." He said and jumped up in excitement while looking at me.

His eyes had that spark and happiness which was such an amazing sight to see. I was happy that he was finally able to sort issues with his father. Holding grudges against somebody is dangerous. You never know when those grudges turn into hatred.

"I can't to this Cookie, I just can't do this." He said and started moving further away from his father. His face was tensed and confused. I didn't understand why he was doing this.

Just a moment ago he was all excited to meet his father and now he is moving away. There was a very unsettling feeling on his face, some kind of fear. Before I could question him about what was wrong, he ran out of the door. For a moment I stood there figuring out what to do.

What should you do Veronica? I was not sure if I should go behind him or give him time.

Go behind him Veronica. Be there for him.