Chapter 15

"Gyaaa!" I tumble across the floor as I'm knocked backward again, landing sharply on my back and splaying out in exhaustion, panting softly and staring up at the ceiling. For what I'm almost positive is the first time (with permission) that I've been dressed. Serenity looms over me with her arms crossed and I sit up slowly, wincing slightly from the pain in my backside from having been knocked on it so many times. She uses her tentacles to gently help me to my feet.

"We've been going at this for almost a whole hour now and you still haven't managed to land a single attack on me. How ridiculous." She sets me down gently and I sigh, rubbing my sore spot and frowning.

"I'm trying my best. It's like I told you before, I haven't practiced actively using my powers in years! The last two times I've used them was under pressure with the hunter attacks. It just... happens!" I sigh and sit back down again against the wall, burying my face in my knees. "I'm never going to get back to where I was. I don't know that I'm really wanting to anyway."

"You keep saying that and the more you think that way the harder it's going to be to do." She comes over to me and makes me look at her. "Jennifer. You can handle this. I can tell how much potential you have, but you're too scared to use it! What will it take to get this through your head?!" I huff and pull my face from her grasp, jumping to my feet and storming off. "And where do you think you're going?"

"I need a fucking break." I storm past Cynthia and run to my room, slamming the door shut behind me and curling up behind it. I bury my face in my knees again and cry silently, my body trembling as I keep myself quiet. I hear a gentle knock on the door and huff. "Who is it?" I ask quietly, trying to cover my trembling voice. 

"Its me." I recognize the voice to be Cynthia's and sigh softly, inching away from the door so she can open it. She slips inside and shuts the door behind her, sitting in the floor beside me and wrapping her arms around me, pulling me in close. "You seem to be getting frustrated. Are you alright?" 

I shrug slightly and snuggle up into her, smiling as she wipes the tears from my eyes and cheeks and strokes my hair. I sigh and she rubs my back slowly. "Why is this so difficult for you? Serenity says that you have so much potential but you're purposely holding yourself back. Why is this?" 

I look up at her for a moment and just stare at her before curling up, tears forming in my eyes again. "I... I hurt someone... Really badly, a long time ago... That... that was the last time I willingly used my powers. I was trying to show off, I lost control, and they got hurt. They forgave me but that didn't make me feel any better. That.... that was the time I was able to use other powers... I burned her. She had a scar on her shoulder... And... I know pretty much anyone can die that way, but if I lost control and hit one of you guys..."

She presses her lips to mine gently to shush me before pulling back softly and nipping my neck. "You don't have to worry about that, dear. That's what Serenity is here for... To show you how to control it. As long as you don't get showy, you'll be fine." I giggle from the nips and sigh as I snuggle into her, closing my eyes as I hug her. 

"Thank you."

"Anytime, love. Now, go on back out there and do more. I believe in you." I smile softly and kiss her cheek before hopping back up and heading back out into the other room. Serenity is still standing in the same place I had left her, and smiles at me as I come back into the room. She approaches me and places her hand on my head.

"Hey... Feel any better?" I nod slightly and she smirks, patting my head softly and walking away, lifting her arms into stance. "Alright, let's go again." With a swipe of her hand, she lashes out with a burst of air. I quickly raise my arms and fling them outward, ripping the attack in two before knocking her backward. She quickly catches herself and stands up again, a broad grin spreading her face. "Perfect. Let's see some more of that."