"Is that so?" I murmured, taking a single step towards Connor.

It was enough to make him as flustered as he got me. He let out a high pitched sound and took a step back, but I kept looking at him with that devilish twinkle in my eyes. I kind of enjoyed being the one who wasn't a fumbling mess for once.

Our moment, however, was interrupted by a hot, searing pain shooting down my back. I let out a yell, almost screaming from the pain. My hands instantly flew to scratch and pull at the pain, trying to rip it away from me to no avail. Conner looked startled to say the least.

I fell to my knees, my body twisting and convulsing as the sun made contact with my skin. It felt as if I had third degree burns all over my neck from where the sun had come into contact. Connor, in a panic, grabbed me from the ground and dragged me to the shade of the sheltered porch. He was still holding me as I hissed in pain, tears brimming at my eyes.

I could see Jimmy's mother watching from the French windows of her home. I could also see her pull the curtains closed, ushering children away from looking at the weird kid hissing at the sun. I didn't want to look at Connor. He must think I'm such a freak, for lack of a better word. I don't think there's any word that fits me better.

Once the searing pain numbed a bit, Connor and I went inside. I felt beyond embarrassed and I wanted nothing more than to disappear under my duvet and not come out for at least a week, but I had to stay strong for the twins. Jimmy's mother asked me if I was okay, but from the way she asked you could tell she didn't really care. It was just a common courtesy thing to ask.

All of the kids were running around the garden but Andy was notably sat by himself, sulking while watching Mary and Angel play together. This pretty much confirmed my fear that he doesn't have any friends. I was about to go to him, but it was then that Jimmy approached him with a toy truck, a peace offering in seven-year-old language.

"Hey Mama Daxx, pay me some attention." Connor piped up from beside me, poking my side. 

I couldn't help but smile and roll my eyes at that; he was so attention demanding.

"Is that my new nickname now? Mama Daxx?" I chuckled, taking a seat on the sofa next to him.

"Well, I could call you Daddy instead, if you prefer?" Connor flirted, keeping his voice to an almost whisper to avoid anybody hearing, his hot breath fanning against my neck and ear.

With a blush, I cleared my throat and scooted away from Connor. 

"If any old bag interrupts us, it's because they're jealous." Connor teased.

"Tone it down in front of the seven year olds." I warned him, meekly.

"I'm not replying because you'll just tell me off when somebody overhears." Connor sulked, "You owe me, though."

"Okay, well, to make it up to you, how about we go on a date tonight?" I proposed, since I'd had all week to plan it.

"No way, really?" Connor beamed, "I didn't think you'd ask me so soon."

"Is that a yes?" I frowned.

"It's a hell yes."

Connor and I settled into a comfortable conversation after that, just chatting about whatever we wanted. It was pleasant, until Andy came running towards us crying his eyes out. He jumped into my lap and began to sob into my neck, wailing like a banshee. I had seen Andy go through many intense emotions, but he had never been this upset about anything. 

I was confused and alarmed, but comforted him straight away, rocking him back and forth slightly while trying to get him to calm down so that he could tell me what happened. Connor dashed off to find the girls to get some answers out of them.