8: Picking Out Clothes

That morning, you woke up excited. Today you would spend time alone, or nearly alone, with Kurapika. You wanted to stun him with your looks and ensure that he was going to choose you over Momoze. You had given her a fair shot— more than fair in your mind, seeing as how you pushed him to go to her— and now it was your turn.

You weren't even that interested in him. Yes, he was decently handsome. Yes, he was quite funny. But you didn't hear any love songs play, nor did you have any sort of tunnel vision when he appeared in front of you. However, the boredom was what pushed you. Kurapika was different and he was interesting and he seemed like fun. Anything that could distract you from the upcoming battle royale was welcome.

"My Prin-ssss-e, what will you wear today?" Beast hissed as you opened the doors to your large closet. You rifled through your dresses until you found exactly what you were looking for.

It was a polka dot dress with straps that tied together behind your neck. Black with white dots, the dress itself was as cute as it was short. There would be no bending over in this.

"... Unless I put a puffy black petticoat!" Happily you went towards your petticoat pile and pulled the tutu like clothing article out. "Help me pick out shoes, Beast!"

"My Prin-ssss-e, I do not know of ssss-uch thing-ssss." It acquiesced.

"Fine, fine. I think that these red, peep-toe heels will work perfectly."

"Will you be comfortable, my Prin-ssss-e?"

"Ah, not if we go hiking. But I assume that we will not do something of that nature. I suspect perhaps a short stroll in the garden, or perhaps a theater event! Oh, Beast, I am so very excited!" You twirled around in just your petticoat while you went to put on your dress.

"You are so excited, my Prin-ssss-e."

"Yes, Beast. I am excited for something different, something new, something exciting! And what could be more exciting, different and new than my very first romance?!"

You were forcing it and you knew it. It felt a little bit unnatural, in all honesty and you almost felt bad for both saying it and knowing that Momoze really did deserve him more.

"But I cannot force him to love either of us." You concluded out loud.

"Ti-ssss right, my Prin-ssss-e. However, I believe that you could per-ssss-uade him of your many benefit-ssss."

"I'm a crown-prince of Kakin. If that doesn't tell him what the benefits of being with me are, then nothing will. I only hope to prove that I am a person beyond that. Of the benefits that come from my personality, rather than my status."

And that was the truth. If he was able to look past your position as a prince, then you would even more actively pursue him. As your father once told you, "Those who forget their place in front of you, deserve a place beside you."

It was good advice to go by, seeing as how you had been burned in the past. Potential friends and potential lovers weren't uncommon to you, but ones that made it past that level were rare. Rather, they were nonexistent. The only other advice from your father that you had kept close to you was this: "Only blood understands blood".