1: Nightmares Are Your New Best Friend

"Aren't you going to parti-sssss-ipate, my prin-sssss-e?" Your nen beast asked you.

It was no secret that you were not amused with the turmoil going on around you.

First, your father had decided to host the next Dark Continent exploration. That meant a bunch of stranger were going to be wandering around your home while they prepared. What a hassle. On top of that, the succession competition was going to begin shortly. And that meant everyone was going to try to kill you.

"No, Beast. I'm not. I'll declare my intent to drop out of the competition and just live my life. I really can't be bothered with it."

"My prin-sssss-e, you simply mu-sssss-t care a little bit more." It declared its concern for you.

"Beast, truly, it's bad enough that I'm the only prince who can talk to my nen beast, but now they're going to think I have some sort of advantage."

"But you do! I will kill them all, a-ssss long a-sss you a-sss-k." It curled around you, cradling you its arms.

"I know. That's what makes it so boring. I could probably win, but what's the use? Then I'll be empress and have way too much work." You twirled some of its shadows between your fingers, a gesture you had done for comfort since your infancy. Anyone who was able to see your beast became terrified and often ran away in fright-- it was known as the nightmare nen beast after all. But you couldn't understand it. You had always been able to see the nen beasts and communicate with them. Of course, none of them were as loyal to you as Beast was, but they sometimes enjoyed your company.

"Prince YN, your father has-- Oh." A strange blonde man had opened the door to your room.

"Excuse you!" You called out as you curled up into Beast.

"You're... a woman. And you're... floating." The young man stated. "And you're... beautiful."

"Well I thank you for the complement but please! Get out! I am not decent!" You screamed. You were only in a light dressing gown, without a brassiere and your usual formal attire.

With a red face, the man left the room quickly.

"How rude. I suppose he's going to make some big deal about it."

"Your father call-ssss for you, my prin-sssss-e." Beast reminded you

"Ah yes. I suppose I will get dressed and meet him in the dining room. It is probably a meeting with the explorers."

So you left Beast's arms and went to your extensive closet.

"Hmm... best to make a good impression, but no use in being fancy. I think this outfit will work."

You pulled out a striped button-up, a corset-style skirt and suspenders. You would wear plain knee high socks and a black pair of kitten heels.

 You would wear plain knee high socks and a black pair of kitten heels

You nodded at this choice and quickly dressed yourself. As you strutted down the hall with Beast trailing behind you, your mind wandered back to the man who had so rudely intruded on your alone time.

"He was kind of... cute, didn't you think Beast? Despite his rude manners."

"Whatever you say, my prin-sssss-e."