Chapter 2

While Alec was on his date with Magnus, Jace was anxiously waiting for Simon to get back to the apartment. Jace jumped when Simon came in a few minutes later, and his heart started to pound due to his nerves and excitement.

"Hey, how was your day?" Jace said and was thankful he didn't stammer, before Simon he never had to worry about nerves but he had never felt this way about anyone before Simon. He had had serious relationships before, but nothing like this.

Simon grinned at him, "It was great, we-" Simon was cut off in shock when he saw Jace on his knee holding an engagement ring.

Jace had meant to wait until after dinner, but the moment he saw Simon he couldn't wait any longer.

"Simon, you are the love of my life. You helped me through some dark times and I helped you, we've both been through so much together and nothing would make me happier than spending the rest of my life with you. Simon, will you marry me?" Jace said. When Simon smiled at Jace, his breath caught in his throat that smile was only reserved for Jace and it made Simon look so beautiful.

"Of course I'll marry you", Simon exclaimed happily, Jace returned Simon's smile and when he put the ring on Simon's finger lifted him up and spun him around causing them both to laugh. Jace kissed Simon when he put him down passionately to show how much he loved him, the kiss deepened and only ended when they needed to break apart for air.

"We need to tell our parents, and the others", Simon said excitedly.

"Yeah, I'll call my parents and then we'll see your mom".

Simon cupped Jace's face with his hand, "I know how awkward it is for you, you don't have to come if you don't want to".

Jace leaned into the touch, "Thanks, but this is too important for me to miss I'll go with you".

Simon kissed Jace in thanks, and thirty minutes later they were outside Simon's mother's house.

Simon took a deep breath, "Here we go", he said and rang the doorbell.

When Elaine answered the door she grinned at Simon, but her smile faltered when she saw Jace. Simon sighed, his mother was over protective of him and even though Jace had proved himself to her she was still certain that he would break Simon's heart. While Simon appreciated this, he also found it infuriating as he knew how much it hurt Jace though he would never admit it not wanting to make things awkward between Simon and his mother.

"Simon what are you doing here with Jace", Elaine asked sounding pleased but both Simon and Jace knew it was forced.

"We have something really big to tell you", Simon said feeling excitement when he thought about his wedding with Jace, and took Jace's hand Jace and squeezed it and he squeezed back.

"Oh, come in", Elaine said and stepped aside to let them come in to the house, when they were settled in the living room Jace nodded at Simon with an encouraging smile, Simon sent him a grateful smile back.

"Mom Jace and I are getting married, Jace proposed to me earlier this evening", Simon said.

Elaine gaped at him in shock, "Y-you're getting married?"

Simon felt his heart sink at the disappointment in her voice, Jace heard it too and put his arm around Simon in an attempt to comfort him.

"Simon, can I have a word with you in private?"

Simon's worry increased when she called him Simon and not monkey, Jace squeezed his hand again to let him know it was okay and left to go in the kitchen.

"I don't think this is a good idea Simon".

"Of course you don't", Simon said bitterly.

"I know his type, guys like him don't do commitment".