Chapter 14

Chapter 14

Before they were ready, Monday had reared its head and Delilah had to return to work. Arriving back on Sunday night hadn't given them anytime for the skinny dip but she knew Rick wouldn't let her forget. He had sent her off this morning with a container brimming with coffee and a cheeky grin. She had avoided her fathers knowing look and ducked out of the house as quick as she could.

Rick watched her leave with a cocky smirk. She could run but he wasn't going to let her escape the reality of the bet they had made. He had cheated outrageously, not that she needed to know that truth.

"I have a question." Walter raised a finger as Rick went to clear the breakfast dishes.

"Try me." Rick sat back down.

"Are you serious about my girl?" just like his daughter, Walter wasn't one to mince words.

Rick cleared his throat before answering, "more serious than I've ever been about anything in my life, including my music." Rick strove for honesty.

"I don't need to know what happened on the weekend between you two."

"We didn't have sex if that's what you're implying."

"Son, I didn't intend to imply anything," Walter shook his head and chuckled before turning serious. "Do you know why she stayed here with me?"

"I guess I never considered why." Rick frowned as he thought over the older mans words.

"After we lost her mother Pumpernickel, well she lost herself. She was always her mother's daughter from the time she was a little one. We lost her so fast that none of us had time to comprehend the loss for a long time. Pumpernickel was still in school and she thought about quitting. I convinced her not to and she went back. I know what she fears now." Walter said sadly.

"Delilah fears something?" Rick raised his brows.

"She's terrified that I'll go the same way. Pumpernickel fears losing me. That's what made her come back. Week after week she sits here putting her life on hold. She's living a life that I never wanted to see her live. This place is the last thing I wanted to force on her and it's not what she wanted." Walter shook his head and stared off into the distance.

"I never realised. I thought she came back because it's what she wanted." Rick couldn't hide his shock.

"That's what she tells everyone but I know the truth. She looks at me sometimes and I know she worries. She's seen what happened to you and your family, now she fears the same thing happening to her."

"There's nothing I can do about that." Rick sighed.

"I'm not blaming you. Shit happens. When it's your time then it's you fucking time. What I want from you is to get my daughter out of this fear. She needs to see the world and experience life." Walter said and Rick's brow furrowed.

"You want me to take her away from the farm she know and loves?" Rick asked in astonishment.

"If you care for that girl the way I think you do, then yes, get her the fuck out of here so she doesn't regret wasting her life." Walter demanded.

"How exactly do you suggest I do that?"

"School holidays start soon. Take her away from here and show her something new. I don't just mean your pecker either."

Rick considered the older man with great care before replying, "I'm happy to take her on holiday that's easy done. Taking her away from all she loves is a different story. If Lil wants to go I'll take her, but I won't force her."