Chapter 1 - History in the making

All rights reserved.

Published by Sandra Corton

No part of this book may be reproduced or transmitted in any forms or by any means, electronic or mechanical, including photocopying, recording or by any information storage and retrieval systems, without permission in writing from the copyright owner.

This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, places and incidents either are the product of the author's imagination or used fictitiously, and any resemblance to any actual persons, living or dead, events, or locales is entirely coincidental.

Cover Design by Marianne Nowicki    

Chapter 1 – History in the making

"Why are you making me do this, Deidre? He's your boyfriend; you should be the one breaking up with him." Delilah White exclaimed as she pushed away from her desk.

"I told you this, Lila; he's trying to punish me by leaving, so I'm done with him." Deidre peered at her perfect manicure with a pert scowl on her face.

"He's just wants to realise his dreams. I'm sure he's not trying to punish you." Delilah huffed.

"Nobody leaves me." Deidre's eyes narrowed.

"Fine." Delilah gave into her friends demands.

She picked up a crisp sheet of paper and tapped her pen before glancing at her friend. As usual, Deidre appeared pristine with her skin glowing, her hair perfect and straight, while dressed in something designer.

Sometimes, Delilah wondered why they were even friends. In comparison, her nail polish had chips, her clothing shrugged on, and her hair in its usual disarray. She never gave much thought to her appearance as Deidre did.

"Why aren't you writing this, Lila?" Deidre frowned at her friend's unresponsiveness.

"Sorry, tell me again." Delilah straightened out her paper.

"Richard, you walked out and left me with nothing but a broken heart. Consider our relationship over!" Deidre raised a dramatic hand to her forehead, making Delilah have to stifle a laugh. She could never understand what Rick saw in her friend.

"Fine, I've written it down. Where he's staying, so I can send it to him?"

"He's moved to his grandparents." Deidre sounded scandalised at such a move, but she prattled off the address with ease.

"Why don't you ring him and tell him?"

"There's not enough flare in that. Deidre Lewis never breaks up with someone, it must burn them." She tossed her hands into the air, and Delilah bit on her cheek not to burst into laughter.

"Delilah, have you taken out the trash yet?" Lynn, her mother called out.

"No, Mum, but I'll do it soon."

"Do your chores now, young lady!"

"Um, gotta go." Delilah muttered.

"That's fine; I've got my ballet this afternoon, anyway. Please post that." Deidre flicked her finger at the note for Rick.

Delilah winced, but waved at her friend to go, "I will. See you later."

It wasn't until later that evening when Delilah noticed the letter on her desk. She blew out a breath, wondering whether to take it to the post box. Deidre would check up on her, so she dragged out an envelope.