Chapter 3

Chapter 3

Rick watched Delilah as she slept upon the couch. He ate the last morsel of food and his stomach groaned. He stared between her and the food while the television played on unwatched in the background.

It still amazed him that she had given up her weekend for him. He knew from her letters how much she loved having her sleep in on Saturday morning. With a sigh, he scrubbed a hand through his hair as guilt hit him. She had travelled across the country for him, while suffering a hangover and had barely complained.

She moved to push her fist under her chin appearing adorable to him. A lock of hair fell over her face and his fingers itched to push it back so he could see her.

When he couldn't stand it any longer, he brushed the hair away from her cheek. Big blue eyes blinked up at him in confusion. She fluttered her eyelashes but he knew it wasn't meant to entice him, as most women tried, but it enticed him all the same.

"Hey, Lil, how are you doing?"

"Rick? Am I dreaming?" she lifted her head from where it laid on his lap.

"Nope, you insisted on taking up the whole couch and I needed some room, so I scooted my legs under your head. Even that didn't wake you up." He rolled his eyes.

"Oops! Sorry, I was a bit tired." She blushed and that sight struck him dumb.

"I gathered that. Do you want to watch your movie now?"

"Uh, sure, as long as you point out the bathroom first."

Rick waved a hand behind him and she pushed to a sitting position and rubbed her bleary eyes. As she made her way to the bathroom, she had to pinch herself to make sure she had awoken. Waking up to see Rick's face as her first sight was a wonder she didn't want to forget.

Seeing her reflection in the mirror made her groan. She looked worse than a pile of crap. Her hair pointed in all directions and the small amount of makeup she'd used now smeared across her cheeks.

She set to work tidying herself up and hoped Rick hadn't noticed her deplorable state. Once again, she had to remind herself that she was here to help Rick with his grief. Her mind and body sure had different ideas about what to do with the Rick situation.

"You okay in there?" Rick called out to her.

"Yeah, I just looked atrocious." She blurted out before wincing.

"Bullshit, you looked fine," Rick's voice sounded closer to the door. "Get out here, Lil."

"Hey, give a girl a minute, will you?"

"You never worried about that shit in high school, so why do you give a damn now?"

"I'm older and wiser. Men don't like scruffy looking women."

"Fucking hell, either you get out here or I'm coming in now." He warned.

"Don't you dare!"

Before she could lock the door, Rick strode in with his effervescent confidence. She went to protest but she didn't stand a chance. Without a word, he turned her back to face the mirror while he stood behind her.

"Rick."

"No, listen to me, Lil. Every day women throw themselves at me with their picture perfect makeup, fussy looking hair and barely there clothing. One of the things I always liked about you was the fact that looks weren't important to you. It was something you didn't care that much about. You'd do your hair and makeup, sure, but you didn't reapply it every minute or stare in any mirror you passed obsessively.