Chapter 9

Chapter 9

Rick's move into her home happened with less fanfare and far quicker than she had anticipated. Nobody but Natalia knew outside of Delilah and her father. So far she had managed to keep him secret. Even her father had managed to keep his mouth closed about their new guest.

Delilah found the change of having Rick in her house as quite surreal. It wasn't simply the presence of another male, it came from the fact that famous Rick Bailey intended to live in her house with her. Even with months of consideration that he would be in her space, it turned out so much different that she had expected.

Rick seemed to consume every space in her house and in her life without any effort whatsoever. She didn't mind, in fact it left her overjoyed to have him close. There was something about him that made every one of her days brighter.

Ever since his grandfathers death, Rick seemed to have made a conscious choice to avoid certain bad influences in his life. From what Delilah had noticed, he didn't drink as much, nor womanise as much. She considered that maybe he had exaggerated in his letters but she didn't think so, he had simply made a change for the better.

"I'm getting dinner started for you." Rick called out as she entered the house after work.

She rounded the corner into the kitchen to find him grinning at her. It still amazed her how well he fitted into her world. Normal everyday things that she thought he'd see as above himself actually seemed to turn into things he enjoyed.

"Hey, Rick, You didn't have to do that." She returned his smile with a dazed one of her own.

"Your dad is refusing to let me loose on the tractor in case I injure myself. I told him I've got my whole body insured for millions and he freaked out even more." Rick rolled his eyes.

"Wow, seriously?" Delilah froze and stared at him.

"Yep, my hands are insured for more than the rest of me in case you needed to know."

"Why?" her eyes widened.

"These are my biggest money makers. Without them I can't write music let alone play an instrument," he wriggled his fingers. "Followed closely by these."

He lifted his shirt and showed her his flat, toned stomach. Delilah's eyes couldn't help but focus on where he pointed. A dusting of hair against his lightly tanned skin fascinated her until her bag fell from her fingers.

"Oops!"

She tried to hide her blushing face as she leaned down to scoop her bag upright. Rick had been here for two days and already he left her flabbergasted. Every day he enjoyed teasing her. Although, now that he was in her house he seemed reluctant to touch her.

He hadn't kissed her since after the concert and she knew that she missed having his lips on hers. Delilah had thought about taking the initiative and kissing him but she was yet to find the gumption.

She had come to the conclusion that the kisses they had shared had only been a way for him to smother his grief. Perhaps he didn't have the attraction for her in the way that she did for him. She tried to keep her disappointment from showing but it took her a lot of effort.

When he kept doing things for her that were so darn sweet, it only confused her more. She didn't know what to think let alone what to do about him. It left her smiling every day knowing that he would be there when she arrived home. Her only trouble came from Natalia noticing her new happy status.