Ch.13 - Anger

A/N: Sorry I know this is kinda sloppy but hope you enjoy!

--

I bite my lip in concentration as I tip toe along the tiles, taking brief glances at the people down below. Each one of them wears a dark cloak and hood to hide their identities, but they don't bother to put any effort in concealing their weapons. The archers have no problem with showing the bows slung over their backs and the warriors with swords on their hips. But they all are just standing there. Silent but waiting for something. Thorin must be just as confused as I am because a demand has yet to be made. I highly doubt their master is even here to begin with.

My gaze lingers on the person I'm here for and I stop for a moment to stare. The increase of light forces me to squint for better vision, and this allows me to see no injuries evident on Thorin. Unless one counts the marks from the chains wrapped around his wrists that, hopefully, haven't caused any blood to show. Guilt fuels in the pit of my stomach at the sight of him and I blame myself for it all. Even for his past death. If I tried a little harder or maybe just made more sacrifices, we probably wouldn't be in this current situation. It's all my fault.

I bite my lip to hold in a whimper and carefully, climb over one of the broken stones in my path. Orcrist lightly clinks against the marble and I stop to scold myself for so being careless. The structure of this building is somewhat hard to maneuver in, due to the fallen and broken columns in my path. Everything here seems to be centuries old, and I fear that the stone may collapse under my feet.

After a few seconds of anxious waiting, I slowly release the breath that kept the oxygen away. My heart pounds hard in my tightening chest, out of fear of being caught. The heavy silence in the room is really testing my sneaking skills and being half Elven, really comes in handy. Being this short has its own perks as well. 

I continue moving along on this circular path, trying to get Thorin's attention while also trying to stay hidden. His body is now fully facing me, as I reach the spot where I can see everything completely. I search the arena like area and lean over a bit, still hidden in the shadows. My vision suddenly fades and I quickly move back, silently screaming at the pain. A huge headache forms which causes me to clutch my head tightly, biting my lip. My body trembles as it fights which form to take and I feel my eyes constantly switch appearance.

I fall on my bum due to the numbness in my feet but freeze when my foot kicks something. The anxiety causes the sensations to fade but my stomach turns as a pebble falls from the ledge. I shift forward to catch it, but instantly stop before my hand can be touched, by any sources of light. A few men peer around at the disturbance I just created and I've never felt this nervous before. I clench my jaw and pull my hood off, as the rock clangs against a blade on one of the racks. My hair falls to the sides of my face and I move into a kneeling position. I reach down to my hip, feeling around for Orcrist since my dagger was lost during the fall.

The sound of the rock bounces off the walls and I wait for someone to identify my location. A few murmurs ignite, along with suspicious glances directed towards the floors above. Thorin joins in on the search as well, except he stares directly at the spot to which I currently am. His eye twitches since he can't see me but I'm sure, he knows someone's here. I tighten my grip around Orcrist, my brows furrowed and I slightly lean forward but suddenly hear the gates open. All the attention that was about to be given my way, diverts to the person speed walking through the center. Each person takes a step back to allow them to pass while giving a small bow.

I narrow my eyes and relax my battle stance, focused on the person that is being given respect. Or maybe they're just doing that out of fear. I stroke my bottom lip at the thought and see them stop underneath my current position. It's hard to see their movements from this angle but I focus on who I assume, are their followers. As the room starts to recover from their bowing, they begin to pull off their hoods, much to my surprise. Every single one of them are simple humans of different genders, shapes and sizes. And I, unfortunately, recognize each of them as the people I've met over the years.