Ch.9 - All At Once

I thrash my body around violently, my cries muffled as they start to drag me away from the fire. Their scent is masked thanks to the smell of burning wood and I can't see nor hear anything. I am only able to figure out, that they're male because of this incredible strength. The heat and bright light from the fire soon fades and all I can see, are the many trees scattered about. I dig my heels into the dirt to try and slow them down, but they simply place an arm around my waist.

Just as I'm about to stomp my foot down onto theirs, I catch sight of tattoos littering their arm. A deep groan rumbles through their throat and I stop struggling, since Dwalin is the one that has me. He lets go once he notices I'm still and suddenly places something over my head, as I turn around. Fur tickles my cheeks and I lift up my cloak, seeing his stressed figure shuffle away.

"Dwalin?" I call out, quickly pulling the item over my shoulders and not bothering with the hood. He grunts in response and uses his war hammer, to help him trudge up the hill. "What's going on?" I scale up the mound of dirt until I'm close behind but back off when I feel his dark aura.

Dwalin turns around for a second with a small glare and shakes his head. "Keep moving." His voice is rougher than usual and nothing about him seems relaxed.

I eye the strain on his shoulders and the way his jaw seems to tighten every second. His eyes look more exhausted and it's as if, a new found weight has been placed upon his shoulders. I close my mouth before I let another question slip and stare down at my somewhat dry boots. The warmth in my chest has faded even more now and I fear that Thorin will only get further away. Dwalin sighs heavily and climbs over one of the large boulders, not once looking back. I blink curiously at the spot he was just at and hear leaves crunch on the other side. Based on how he's currently acting, I'm pretty sure he doesn't care if I follow him or not. That's troubling, considering that they were making sure I wouldn't escape before. What has changed? I mimic the warriors actions and jump down onto the other side with a huff. He continues on his invisible path and I highly doubt he even knows where to go.

A large frown is set on my features as we continue on in silence and guilt pools in my stomach. Those people had died because of me. Screams and cries fill my ears and I flinch in pain, my eye twitching a bit. How much blood has been spilled because of my name? I sigh heavily and feel my heart tighten out of agony and anger. Thorin is to be married when all this is over, and I haven't even done anything to help him remember. Things were difficult already and now I really do have to beat the clock. The Shire should be close by but due to these obstacles, I'd estimate maybe a day or two delay.

I growl deeply at the thought of another woman familiarizing herself with Thorin, when in reality he's mine. Who is she anyway? If she truly cared for Thorin like I do, then she would've came along on this search. I haven't even noticed a courting braid in his hair, so maybe it's all just a rumor? But they mentioned a war, so that must mean Thorin doesn't even have a choice in the matter. It's either save himself or save his people. It must be serious if they have yet to prevent it from occurring. My feet stop at a heartbreaking thought and I feel everything inside me tense. Unless he wants it to happen. That could be the reason as to why he's in such a hurry. While I've been on the run for my life, he could've started a new family. A much better one than what he would've had with me. All I'll bring him is a plate full of burdens and a cup full of misery.

Dwalin clears his throat and I snap out of my negative thoughts. My eyes shift over to the warrior waiting a good distance away and I wonder how long he's been standing there. He crosses his arms in frustration and arches a brow, as if to question what I'm doing. I blink a few times and drag my feet against the loose dirt, having no energy at the moment. Dwalin nods when I finally reach him and he turns back around to walk in a random direction. With a sigh I follow him at my own pace and pull the hood over my head, hiding my face. I grind my teeth in anger and glare daggers at the ground. The next time I see that witch, she's dead. I don't care what excuses she tries to give. She's the cause to all this and she kept the marriage from me. Mahal only knows what else she's hiding. But if she finds my agony amusing, then I suppose I should find my own amusement witnessing hers.