“There.” She passed the bucket smiling again. Her eyes sparkled. It was the first time Dhoulren had looked at her properly. She had the darkest skin she had seen on a human. Beautiful, deep mahogany. With black shadowy hair, pitch eyes and an impish smile, she held a sort of exotic beauty that was startling to behold.

“Well, it was nice meeting you, Sorry for making such an ass of myself!” She had indicated to her sodden clothes, laughed, before flaunting off to change in to something a little less saturated.

Dhoulren heard angry shouts, so out of place from her mellow daydream. She was near Silver’s pavilion and that seemed to be the source of the disruption. Her pleasure shattered as she began to make out the words. Words that left a bad ring to the air.

“…Will not stand….festerling about….its not natural…there is no place here for it here! Best to throw it out before it rots any more of your precious heart!” Dhoulren’s own heart sunk further to her feet as the foul words strung together to form sentences. Another voice spoke.

“How the spirits haunt your mind you worthless maggot! Where is your pride mad dog? Wasn’t it you that said ‘All are equal no matter their brethren or where they were born. You shameless hypercritic you!” Dhoulren froze in surprise. That was Silver.

“Dekk take you! You are harbouring one of his own. Don’t let her drag you down to him! Don’t sink so deep that you can’t get free!” She did not know the other voice or why its owner hated her so. This did little to slow her rising fear. With all her remaining strength of will, she forced on her feet on what seemed a march to death.

As she rounded the last tent she could see the fight unfold. Silver, human formed, ran at the other man. Arm swinging. Farrez, she recognised him now, raised a fist of his own. Geurda was standing snarling and spitting at Farrez. Dhoulren could not believe it. They were fighting for her!

Suddenly, a woman rushed forward between the two men.

“Stop! Children! Infants! Babes in mothers’ arms! For spirits! Pray contain you selves! End this ridicule! This fighting! Call your selves men of honour when neither of you has a harness for your temper?”

Silver snarled and Farrez swore but neither of them could deny the words. Farrez oathed before speaking.

“Woman! What purpose did that serve but to slur at our prides? You! My Wife! So you accept having a murderous piece of scum beside our homes! She will kill us in our sleep! Have you a conscience and care for the many who have been lost to those creatures? Would you shame their families so?” It was then that he turned to see Dhoulren, pale and motionless, a witness to his words. For a moment he stood rigid. His eyes widened, his mouth dropped open. The others also turned.

“Krott!” groaned Silver.

Farrez’s face darkened from rage to pure fury. He seemed to want to say something but the words stuck to the anger in his mouth.

“Now Farrez. Don’t do anything you might come to regret. You are causing a scene. Please…”

That was Ejiavstae. Dhoulren recognised him at once. She could never forget him for it was he who spared her life in the face of all odds. She also recognised the similarities between him and Farrez. The same darkly tanned skin. The same thin lips and powerful cheek bones, set off by the same dark brown hair.

“Please… Let us go away from here and talk about this… As brothers…” He raised an arm as if his hand was to be shaken. Far from that, Farrez looked as if he might hit him but his face regained most of its control and the words he spoke were quiet but unforgiving.

“You and I are brothers no more. Consider me contempt at your existence.”

With that, he looked about him as the gathering crowd gasped.

Farrez oathed once more before spitting on the ground and walking off. His wife sighed.  The crowd began to disperse, mumbling as they went. Until they left behind only Ejiavstae, Farrez’s wife Elanie, a hissing Geuda and Silver who looked despairing but still angry at what had just unfolded.

“Too much angerment! Such bitter words will bring no voice to an agreement. Remember you used to be friends. Don’t let this come between you.” Elanie sighed again at Silver, shuddered at Dhoulren before following her husband.

“I’d better leave it a while before talking to him again.” Said Ejiavstae. “He will come round eventually, he always does but it may be a while before I will attempt to make peace.” He looked hard at Silver who returned his gaze with a grunt. “and I suggest you do the same.”

Silver snorted angrily. “Foulast! He has brought it upon his own. From now on my only acknowledgement of him is laid in scorn!”

Geuda gave a little crooked half smile. Ejiavstae did not seem in the least taken aback by his retort.

“Come Come! Surely you know by now what a pig headed idiot my big brother can be. Don’t take it to heart. I’m sure this time tomorrow you will be sharing a jest between passing beers in the tavern. Oh don’t look like that! Roll your eyes all you want but you know I’m right! As soon as Kaa is back you will have the whole thing off your minds.”

“Some how I don’t think so…” Silver replied, but he let it be all the same. He turned around and smiled sympathetically at Dhoulren before beckoning her over. As she walked towards him, her mind was still whizzing at what she just witnessed. Silver was willing to break his friendship with Farrez just for her. She didn’t know whether to feel gratitude or terror, for this fight had unearthed another side to the Passive, gentle Silver she thought she knew.

“Don’t worry about Farrez. He is just an old fashioned sort of man. He just needs to get to know you. I’m sure things will settle down in a couple of days.”

Ejiavstae clicked his tongue and bared his broken teeth in a thin smile. “Maybe maybe... Eh listen; I’d better go and find that ‘noble steed’ of mine. If he hasn’t calmed down by now he never will.”

Geuda gagged. At first Dhoulren thought that she might actually be choking until Ejiavstae laughed.

“I’ll tell him that you did that!”

Geuda grimaced “Ugh! Sod him, filthy coward! Imperial pony! Useless cradderack!”

To explain Silver mock whispered. “She doesn’t like him very much…” Then winked an eye sparkling with merriment.

Dhoulren cocked her head questioning.

Silver smiled. “He is a little bit frightened…” He nodded at Dhoulren in a subtle gesture. Dhoulren was shocked. Frightened? Of me?

“Bah! Frightened? He’s bloody terrified! Silly filly! Epdemise will never learn!” Ejiavstae grinned then turned to look at her. As soon as he met Dhoulren’s eyes, he broke off and shuddered slightly.

“I must go. ‘Urgent’ business to attend…”

“What has he done now? Soiled himself in fright? Ah the poor babe!”

Ejiavstae grinned at Geuda.

“That’s quite possible. Any way… I will be seeing you… Gueda. Silver.” He paused “…Dhoulren.” His smile turned more into a grimace but he did not shiver as he said goodbye and his eyes held her gaze for with out faltering. Then he turned his back and walked away with a slight wave.

Silver sighed suddenly looking very weary. Dhoulren grunted.

“Don’t worry about it.” Silver said “Ejiav is a good man and Farrez… Well they both need a little time. It will work out fine.” He smiled weakly. “Come. You had better come with us. I think we have had more than enough excitement for one day…”