Chapter Ten

On Sunday afternoon, I couldn't find a moment of privacy. Even in my own room, I could hear the chatter of the other maids as they rushed through the hallways to get their work done unseen and unnoticed. I knew the gardens and maze would be off limits with the guests in residence, ruling out a peaceful walk.

I fled to Mrs. Horner's private room to escape the footsteps and chattering voices, only to find the housekeeper already there. "Miss Nelson!" she exclaimed with a beaming smile. "Come and sit. I'll have tea brought in and we can have a comfortable cose."

Gossiping with the kindly woman was far from what I'd had in mind. It didn't seem likely that I would be able to play the pianoforte, though, so I murmured my thanks. I sat across from where she was already sitting as she pulled the rope to summon a maid.

Perhaps she would at least have some bit of useful information. Given the luck I'd had of late, I wasn't going to hold my breath.

"I am so glad we could both take some time away from our duties at the same time," Mrs. Horner said when she returned to her chair. "I hope Mr. Stone kept himself to himself."

She seemed to be genuinely concerned as she gazed at me. "I've hardly seen him at all today," I said. "Her ladyship has said she will not stand for him to be disrespectful to anyone in the household ,so I hope he has a care for how he conducts himself."

Mrs. Horner let out a snort. "He has never been inclined to leave well enough alone. One would think he was master of this house from the way he behaves some days."

What an odd statement to make. Before I could question her on the point, the door opened and tea brought in. I waited until Fanny had set the tray down and retreated. "I get the feeling you are not fond of Mr. Stone. Has he always been so..." I struggled to find the right word.

"Disagreeable? Not at all," Mrs. Horner said readily. She poured tea into a cup and offered it to me. "When he was a boy, he was a charming scamp. Obedient, but up to all the usual mischief boys get into."

"I take it his disposition changed once he became steward?" I accepted my cup and lifted it to my lips for a sip.

The woman heaved a sigh. "I'm afraid so. He so wants to succeed that I fear he has lost sight of what is truly important for someone in his position. I'm sure he means no harm in being so serious in adhering to what he believes is right and wrong in Clarendon."

"I suppose he must be commended for taking his responsibilities so seriously. If only he accepted Lady Leith as mistress of the house. His habit of running to the dowager when a decision is not what he thinks is right makes things more difficult than they need to be." It was a bold for me to make such a statement.

"Indeed. But I wager my lady will not stand for it much longer," Mrs. Horner said with a nod. "A few months ago, she might have let this pass, but not anymore." She sent a sly smile towards me. "Perhaps you know why she has become so decisive?"

Instead of answering, I sipped my tea. "I'm surprised Sir Horace hasn't made more of an effort to make sure his wife has the respect she deserves. I mean no disrespect, of course."

"Of course. I've often thought it a shame that Sir Horace is away so often these past few years. I can only assume Lady Leith hasn't mentioned how she has been treated, the poor dear."

Somehow, I didn't think Celia would appreciate being called a 'poor dear' by the servants, even if it was kindly meant. "I only hope that her decisions are supported below stairs and not looked upon with resentment."

"The few who would have done so have already been sent on their way," Mrs. Turner said with a calm smile. She lifted her tea cup. "As for any other dissenters, I have my own ways of handling them."

Her confidence lightened my spirits. There were some housekeepers who would take advantage of a mistress' uncertainty. Mrs. Horner hadn't done so. Was her loyalty to Clarendon or Sir Horace? She didn't seem to have a qualm about the new Lady Leith taking charge of the house, so perhaps it was a dislike of the dowager?