Chaper IX: Chocolate for dessert

“You’re screwed,” Nicole says in the phone after I tell her about what happened that night between Dean and I and his parents kicking me out.

“I know right? His parents first impression of me is probably not a good one."

That dinner thing with Dean and his parents is tonight, and I’m not looking forward to it. All I need to worry about right now is how I present myself. This outfit shouldn’t be anything I would wear to a prom, and I definitely shouldn’t be anything I would wear to a club or party. Maybe a simple dress with some sandals should do it.

"Right now,” I start, “I could use some advice Nicki.”

“Uhm...Just… be modest? Like, don’t say anything that his parents’ would cause them to regret giving you a second chance.”

“Wow. Thanks.”

Hanging up the phone, I walk over to my closet and start to search for an outfit that I put together in my head. This white crop top should be good. Where’s my blazer? Here it is. Oh, and this blue skirt would go perfectly. I place the outfit on my bed and then walk back over to my closet for a black pair of sandals that has gold studs on them.

Beep. Beep. Boop.

Dean is calling.

“Hey hey hey,” I say.

“Hey beautiful. Are you ready for tonight?”

I scrunch up my face knowing the true answer is no, but instead I say yes.

“Good. Be here for 7?”

“Yeah. See you tonight.”

Lord knows I’m not looking forward to this night. I pull out my drawer filled with jewelry and pick out some gold accessories. The hardest part was deciding what to do with my hair. My friends used to always say how they loved my bangs, so I decided to do that with a bun. Makeup, makeup, makeup. Just a winged liner with mascara and a nude lip is fine. I’m not a fan of wearing alot of makeup to be honest.

I hop into the shower and then get dressed. Right after I put on my makeup, my dad knocks on the door and then enters.

"You look nice,” he says.

“Thanks daddy.”

He gives me a stern look.

“What?” I ask.

“Tell Dean to keep his hands to himself. I should have met him first.”

“You already did, though.”

“I mean through an actual dinner. Not just a ‘Hey’ here and there. We need to have a talk. A one-on-one.”

Is he serious? Whatever. If I want to continue this relationship with Dean, we both will have to satisfy our parents’ needs. And if that means an awkward movie night, then so be it.

***

I begin to walk up the path that leads to Dean’s front door. This walk seems longer than usual. You’re fine Rocky. Take a chill pill. Think of what Nicki told you earlier, “Don’t say anything that would regret his parents from giving you a second chance.” My hands are starting to get clammy and I reach for the lions’ nose ring and knock twice. No later than literally 5 seconds, Dean is opening the door smiling. He hugs me and kisses my forehead.

“Thanks for coming.”

“No problem.”

Dean closes the door behind me and guides me to the kitchen where his parents and another person is there. Dean has a brother?

“Hi! I’m Jillian, Dean’s mother. You can call me Jill.  And this is Miguel, his father.”

It was kind of awkward being on a first name basis with adults because I was taught to respect my elders and to always say ‘Mr.’, ‘Mrs.’, or ‘Ms.” She had a short blonde pixie cut with blue eyes and red lips. She almost resembled Marilyn Monroe. Anyway, Mr. Miguel had a serious face and never cracked a smile. He had large arm muscles and a tattoo snaking down his arm. His dark features and Mrs. Jillian’s soft ones were complete opposites, but balanced one another out making them the perfect couple. I shook both of their hands and then looked over to see basically Dean’s clone standing by the kitchen counter.