Chapter XVII: But Travis

Rocky's POV

"I'm on my way," Nicki says.

"Alright. See you there." We hang up and I finish pushing my hair into a ponytail. I stand in the mirror and pick at the lace at the bottom of my shirt. Why are my nerves getting to me? Oh wait. Travis will be there. That's why.

Grabbing my purse and my keys, I walk out of my room closing the door behind me.

"Are you going to the lunch thing with your friends?" my dad asks startling me.

"Yeah I am. I'll call or text you when I make it." I began walking down the stairs and my dad follows behind.

"So who's all going to this again? Nicole, Dean, and who else?"

"Travis, Christina, and Matt."

"Okay. Well, be safe."

"What's wrong? You sound concerned."

"It's just...don't you think those shorts are a little short?"

"Oh my go-, dad really? Bye."

"Bye. And tell Dean to keep his hands to himself."

"Can't make any promises."

* * *

I pull into the parking lot of Applebee's and pull down the sun visor in order to look at the mirror.

"Okay. It's just lunch Rock, like, what is there to be nervous about?"

Travis.

"I mean, your best friend and your boyfriend will be there. All you have to do is get to know Matt and Christina."

But Travis.

"Hey. My name is Rocky. I am 17 years old and I attend...no, that's way too formal."

Travis is waiting for you Rocky.

"Wassup fool. How you doin'? Ugh, no. We're not in the hood."

What are you waiting for?

"Hey, I'm Rocky." I pretend to shake someone's hand. "Nice to meet you."

There's a knock on my window and I look to see Nicole. I roll down the window and she sticks her head in causing me to pull back.

"What are you doing? I saw you pull into the parking lot and you have been sitting in the car for the past five minutes."

"Really? I'm sorry I was just...spaced out."

"Well space your ass out inside because I'm hungry."

I roll my eyes and grab my purse from the passenger seat.

"I like that color on your lips by the way."

"Thanks," I tell her as I roll the window back up. She steps back and allows for me to get out of the car.

We make it inside and Dean is calling my name while waving. Nicole and I walk over there where the rest of the group is sitting. Oh boy. There he is. With his green eyes and dark black hair just staring at me.

"Sit next to me baby," Dean tells me and I do so.

Matt is sitting in front of Nicole, Christina is sitting in front of Me and next to Matt, and Travis is sitting in front of Dean.

"Alright," Dean claps, "Let's get acquainted."

"Let's get acquainted? Really dude?" Travis says.

"Anyway, I'll go first," Christina interrupts. "Hi, my name is Christina Cruz. I've known Dean and Travis since we were children. I don't want to sound cliché, but I like to think of myself as a nice person until someone pushes me."

Her country accent was strong as she bats her long natural eyelashes at Matt. Wonder what that is about.

"I'll go next. I'm Nicole. Like Christina, Rocky and I have been friends since babies." She leans over to plant a kiss on my cheek and I jerk back giggling as I wipe it off. "But yeah, I'm nice too, but you still can catch these hands."

The table fell silent as Travis cleared his throat. I died of laughter on the inside but held my composure on the outside.

"Okay, well I am Matt. Dean and I've been cool since freshman year. Uh,-"

"Hi my name is Alex and I'll be your server for today. May I start you all off with some drinks?" Alex looks like a emo playboy. Jet black hair, brown eyes, lip piercing with small white gauges. I can imagine him covered with several tattoos from chest to toe under his uniform.

"Hey cutie, I'll take an ice tea with a lemon," Christina says.

"Fancy. I want Coke. Light ice," Travis informs the waiter with an attitude. Sweetheart, the bad boy act is not working for you. Get your life.

"Alright and for the two ladies?" Alex asks with a bored expression.

"A Rootbeer will be fine," I say.

"I'll take the same," Nicole mumbles.

Alex points the end of his pen towards Dean.

"Sprite."

"Okay. Take your time to order and I'll be back with your drinks."

As soon as Alex leaves, Matt continues to introduce himself. When it was Travis' turn, I zoned out and flipped through the sticky menu as Dean gave a mini bio of himself.

* * *

Everyone finished their meal and we all stood up from the table to leave. I got a chance to meet Matt officially since we only pass each other in the halls everyday, and I also learned more about Christina. I can tell we'll hit it off well on the trip.

Matt left and Christina and Nicole followed. I'm guessing Travis came with Dean so he had to stay around. Dean slipped his hand into mine and walked me to my car while Travis awkwardly trailed behind us with his hands in his pockets. Once we made it, I unlocked my car and Dean opened the door for me. I slid in and threw my purse in the passenger seat.

I turn my head to see Dean staring at me.

"What?" I ask.

"Gimme a kiss." He puckers his lips and makes smooching noises. I laugh and grab his shirt causing him to fall on top me. He accidently honks the horn which makes me laugh even harder. We finally kiss and he pushes himself off of me using the armrest and the steering wheel. After he closes the door, I back out of the parking lot and make my way home.

* * *

...a few weeks later

"Be safe, alright? If you need me you know what to do. Here are your rules and regulations."

My dad gives me his 'Rules and Regulations' speech which is basically him telling me not to swipe my V-card. Too late for that, am I right?

"Got it?"

"Got it."

I grab my purse and Michael grabs my suitcase and pillow. We head out the door and see two cars. One has all of the boys and the other has Nicole and Christina. I walk over to Nicole's car and she pops the trunk. Michael scoffs as he tries to fit my over packed suitcase in with the other five that are in there. I'd like to take a second a give myself a pat on the back for limiting myself to one suitcase instead of my usual three.

He slams the trunk and gives me a tight hug. Before we take off, I run up to the driver's side of Dean's car. He opens his door and pulls me in like I did at Applebee's.

"Drive safe, okay?" I tell him.

"Okay."