Stella (The Clock Part 3)

Start from the beginning

I was a few feet away from the clock now, struggling to decide whether this is right or wrong.

'Even if it works, I'd turn shadow by the time it works.....no....I don't want that to happen.'

I took a step back. Then froze.

'That's cowardly,' I hissed silently through my tongue, 'that's arrogance Stella! You're not a coward, you should never be afraid! So do what you know is right.'

'Save them if you must, and even in death, you're heart could be set free. That you'd be the hero despite their rejections. You are better than this. Do what you know is right, for there may not be another chance.'

I swallowed hard, then lifted my paw towards the light. A few heart-pounding seconds later, it slipped right through the glowing light circulating the orb, until it wrapped around its circumference.

With an explosion of pain to follow.

I shrieked as it jerked off the clock, draining its power, then illuminated like a billion stars, blinding me quick. I tumbled to the earth onto my belly while my paw still locked on the orb, turning shadow all over again.

"Bring them back!" I cried, yelling at the orb.

But nothing happened.

The virus-like blackness seeped through my paw, like a black hand of death grasping onto my veins as it roared into my shoulder. My whole arm shook as pieces of my flesh boiled upon each other, cracking and tearing itself apart.

And in agony, I screamed.

The darkness slid through my tail, consuming me entirely, until only my head remained. I could almost imagine an eternal winter or frostbite claw its way to my soul, devouring everything that ever existed in me.

"Bring.....them....back..." I hissed painfully as I sank lower, feeling the darkness swallow my heart. My limbs gave up on itself as my head hit the water, and a thought of regret shattered the tears that fell from my winced eyes.

"Please..." I croaked once more, seeing red as the black smoke took my right eye by surprise.

I pressed my orb-filled paw on Whiteclaw's tail, praying for a miracle.

But the last thing I saw was....

Nothing.

I felt a huge explosion vomit wind from out of nowhere, spraying water and force all over me. I tumbled backwards blindly, then landed in the water in silence.

Total silence.

--------------

Whiteclaw's POV

I gasped like a newborn hatchling, taking its first breath of distasteful oxygen.

In unison, my eyelids unlocked itself from the chains of the abyss, ingurgitating the lifeless colors around me.

I didn't need to guess where I was when they fell upon the blackened bloody water below and the smokey-foul scented atmosphere. But despite the scenery, I felt confused.

I died.

But I'm still alive?

I turned my clawed hands over, front and backwards, as if the stars of the skies were in my grasp. My tail seemed fine too, oblique and sharp at its tip. My head tilted towards towards my left rib cage and underbelly.