Lavender (48 hours after)

What do you do, when you lose someone you love? When you leave behind something you love? Do you forget? Or at least try to drag it out of your mind? I'm having a bit of trouble doing that myself. The world as I know it came to an end. Everything that I loved came to an end. Like Mother Nature died, and dragged everything that it ever created down with it, like servants who must die for their queen. Major was my world, and she took him from me. And I couldn't do anything about it to stop her. Nothing at all. A growing shadow of death lingered over the entire Earth, and from a bird's eye view, everything around me was dead silent. Trees were covered in ash and mud, snow tumbled silently down as the air chilled up, flesh began to rot and fall from bone, and small tsunamis wiped up the mess into the ocean. Nothing to me was safe at this moment, in air, land, or sea, and every second, more dinosaurs suddenly die, but no dinosaurs are born. And that worries me most. After taking a long stare down at the traumatic scene below, I turned sharp right, heading over the Pacific Ocean. The water glowed as best as possible from the resisting light of the shadow that drowned the once blue sky, which gave a sudden thought that even the sun itself was dying. Everything was falling apart. As a flyer, floating over the ocean is a spectacle of beauty that no other dinosaur could ever see. The feeling of soaring over this wonder of the world is a magical adventure, even if it is destroyed from its own creator; nature. This strange sense of pure peacefulness ravaged inside of me, swinging from artery to vein throughout my body, and for a second, actually took my mind off of the catastrophic era that laid before me. I began remembering the past, the life that I left behind so long before this happened. I could recall learning to fly when I was young, how me and my father shared similar connections about the world, and how our bond was strong enough to last for decades. I recalled trying to fly once, and almost killing myself after tripping off the nest. He had a pep talk with me later on after bandaging a deep wound on my wing from the fall, with some spider silk to keep it clean and the wound closed.

"You're mad aren't you," I'd say, looking down as if I was punished, "I understand. I'm sorry."

"Not mad. But I'm upset that you tried something behind my back and almost killed yourself! What were you thinking?," He snapped, then sighed, "But I can't argue you for trying something different." I'd look up at him with confusion and no understanding, yet he saw some courage in my eyes to use as an advantage.

"You're like your mother Lavender. Beautiful like the flower spewing from the Earth itself. You take things as opportunities and I'm grateful for that. This means that you, as an adult, wouldn't give up on anything that stood in your way."

"Like my destiny?"

"You can't foretell the future yet Lavender," He clicked, "But I could see a strong and powerful dinosaur in you already. What you did was wrong, and we both know it, but it was also a step towards confidence. Towards bravery."

"But I'm scared sometimes," I'd fiddle with my wings, "I'm not all that brave."

"Don't doubt yourself over failure, don't even fear failure. Fear not having the chance to do what you feel is right. I don't control your life, you are the author of your story. So let's say we practice flying."

"Right now?" I smiled happily.

"Right now." He chuckled, showing me his techniques and ideas. 

Father died when I was 12 years old, and nowadays, I don't remember much about him. Mother wept with me and my siblings, and when we went our separate paths, Mother vanished without a word, probably dead by now. I never got to know Father well enough to understand life, because still, I felt uncertain about his predicted future. I wanted to live up to his dream of becoming a strong and independent dinosaur, a figure of hope for his family, and the one I wanted to build with Major. But he has joined the stars like Father. And now I'm all alone-

Suddenly, a huge abrupt explosion rocked the world and flipped the air into their own backflips. I let out a squawk of terror, tumbling a few feet from the air before regaining flight. The ocean shook violently as a mushroom cloud miles ahead rocketed into the air, releasing another tsunami to go roaring to the shoreline. 

A supervolcano had erupted. 

I flipped my body frantically in fear, thrusting my wings the opposite direction to go around the underwater explosion. Fireballs fell from the sky, though they posed no danger to me since I soared far from the area of eruption. 

The world is changing, I realized, and I need to evolve quickly with it if I intend on surviving. 

Seeing the smoke clouds fly into the sky like fire, and heatwaves burn my scales, I flew towards the horizon, desperately in hopes of finding a safer world to live in, and a future to restore.