Chapter 9 - One Big Joke

Jackie stared at what could be the biggest house he had ever seen.

He had been sprinting for a while, but stopped as his stomach muscles began to ache. He slowed down and walked, taking in the scenery. St Anthonio Street looked better and more accepting than Melville. Newly developed homes stood along the street, with huge garages on the left hand side. It almost looked like the ideal American neighbourhood you see in the movies, where kids run riot during their summer vacation, meeting up with their screaming and laughing mates; the circle of mothers around a garden table on the front lawn drinking lemonade and chatting away whilst the fathers stood drinking cold beers talking excitedly about the latest and upcoming football games and, of course, watching the barbecue.

Sooner or later, one the fathers will have to accompany the group of children towards the ice cream van that tinkled at the end of the road whilst the mothers prepared ‘Operation Playtime’, pulling out a bouncy castle or a rubber splash pool to surprise the children.

However, it was night time. The sky was jet black and you could just about make out the stars above. No one was outside. The neighbourhood was dark and eerie, like a set from the latest horror film.

But this particular house was something he did not expect to see; not in Blüdhaven.

A magnificent looking neo-eclectic house stood by itself on top of a small hill. In front lay a collection of beautiful array of blue, pink and white flowers; they spread across the freshly cut lawn that could host a mini golf tournament. It had a two door garage on the right hand side and a huge driveway that sprawled out onto the main road. Two ivory white pillars, which held up the upper floor, stood beside the front door and had the numbers ‘206’ nailed on them.

A few lights were on inside and music was playing quietly.

Jackie heart began to pound as he went along the path up to the front door, tucking in his shirt and neatening himself up as he went.

Jackie took a few moments to search and trawl over his memories then exhaled in frustration. It was no use; he still couldn't remember the blonde girl’s name. He thought about when he snapped at her and her final message. There was no mistaking it; there was something she wanted to show him and it was right in this very house.

Jackie raised his hand ready to knock, until a light came on inside the living room, shortly followed by familiar sounding voices, laughter and a brief silence.

Jackie reached into his coat pocket and felt the fabric of the red balaclava. He wanted to see what he was getting himself into.

__________________

The figure moved into the darkness, illuminating the room with a flick of the switch.

The living room was simply magnificent, and it always surprised him every time he stepped inside.

A steel grey and teal right handed corner couch sat at an angle on the spring oak floor, facing a 60 inch flat screen TV which hung on the wall. Several medals and certificates decorated the far wall on the left, followed by a fairly large framed picture of a young male grinning, his chestnut brown hair glistening, whilst holding a massive trophy and wearing a Metropolis University Varsity jacket.

The figure looked at the picture and couldn't help but smile at the memories that flew into his mind.

He walked over to the sofa and carefully picked up his rumpled suit trousers. He fumbled at his pockets and pulled out an unusual set of keys. In the same manner he laid the trousers back on the sofa, folded them neatly and placed his fashionably modest Fendi belt he found on the wooden floor on top.