Chapter 3 - Fire

The bus smelt awful.

The stench of damp filled Jackie's nostrils. Light rain pitter-pattered against the windows and tapped on the roof of the bus. A few commuters pulled their coats and some raised their newspapers to their faces, eagerly catching up on the latest news. An elderly woman sat opposite Jackie, staring lazily at her bright pink mittens. Jack's mind wandered back his attempt of reconciliation between his girlfriend and himself. Jackie tapped his foot furiously whilst the bus inched forward bit by bit, having been held up in serious traffic.

What’s her problem exactly? It's like my efforts don't mean anything to her anymore! Don’t I mean anything to her anymore?

The thought cycled around his head. He didn't understand why Jenny was being off with him. Jackie knew he was a changed man, but proving that to Jenny was becoming very difficult. He already tried the romantic dinner once, gave her the benefit of the doubt more than often and pretty much offered to stay at home more so they can plan the next steps together. Instead she's out clubbing all night, on her phone messaging away or being incredibly distant.

Frustration built up in Jackie, pounding against his eyeballs. He raised his hands and buried his face in them.

What should I do?

The screech of the bus brakes alerted Jackie out of his hands signalling that the bus had stopped. He looked around at the familiar setting of Downtown Blüdhaven and quickly made his way off the bus. He stepped off onto the pavement and looked at his watch. 12:01p.m.

Luckily for him, Jackie only needed to walk two blocks down to reach the office. Placing his hands in his large imperial purple overcoat, He crossed the road and made his way past grocery stores, Laundromats and other small side street businesses.

The grey clouds stretched over Downtown. This place had seen better days. Packed up businesses and boarded up homes were seen too frequently around here; terrible economy. Many of the homeless gathered around a metal trash can at the end of the road, placing bits of paper and discarded picket sign trying to keep their fires alive. It was a very sad sight indeed. Jackie looked around and appreciated what he had left after the gambling fiasco. He also wondered about the past lives that these homeless individuals had; the lives that were left behind or taken away from them. Maybe they gambled too much, didn't study or work hard enough or had major problems and didn't know who to turn to. From riches to rags, these people were now vulnerable. No way for them to fight, no way to progress forward; no way out.

Everyone’s getting desperate these days. They'll do anything to escape the reality they're in; drugs, alcohol, petty crimes. Blüdhaven; a dog eat dog city. No peace at all.

The depressing surroundings motivated Jackie further, to work hard and leave as quickly as possible. As much as he would like to help, he didn't have enough resources, neither the political backing to step up and do something about it. Besides, coming to think of it, it wasn't really his problem anyway.

He approached the stairs leading to the front of Crawlings' & Clive Insurance, a small but respectable insurance company. The building was simple from the outside, only showing double doors and shiny reflective windows to prevent the public from looking into the realm of transactions, inquiries and disputes.

This was the sort of work that breathed life into Jackie. There was something about picking up the phone and displaying the gift of the gab. Also, he was now engaging and keeping up with the latest financial news and trends. It wasn't like the company that Jackie previously worked back in Central City, which was more hands-on and required a huge amount of discipline, but in here, Jackie was king; he knew he was good at what he does. Graduating with high honors at Central City University was child's play, almost expected. Admittedly, things hasn't worked out smoothly recently, but it was something he could brush underneath the carpet. It won't be long before pay-day comes and Crawlings' & Clive will just become a bunch of words printed on hisrésumé.