Chapter 10

Savannah

My head pounds as I wake up. I feel like my brain is trying to jump through my skull. When I'm finally able to open my eyes, I see the room I'm in is completely dark. I feel around with my arms, realising the bed I'm lying in is huge, opposite to the small bed at the ring. The smell of the bed is strangely familiar, causing flashes of memory to suddenly play through in my brain.

I remember that guy injecting me with something, my body feeling numb as he touched me, Logan breaking into the room and pulling the guy off of me, Kirk and Ariel running in seconds later, Kirk wrapping me in the bed sheet and carrying me out of the building. Then, I remember how Kirk didn't let go of me until I fell asleep. That's what the familiar smell is in this bed. It's Kirk; I'm in his bed.

My body aches as I push myself from the bed, holding my arms out in front of me as I find my way to the door. I locate the doorknob, wrapping my hand around it and yanking it open. Light floods the hallway, causing my eyes to squint painfully for a couple of seconds before they adjust. I look down at myself, seeing nothing but a large, white shirt covering my body, it carries the same scent as Kirk's pillow. I realise Kirk's room is right next to the training room, so I look in there for him first, finding it empty.

With a sigh, I turn back out of the room, heading down the stairs and to the front door. Every room I've passed so far has been empty, including the kitchen. On the front porch is the last place I can think of to look for Kirk, or anyone, for that matter.

I see the front door is open as I approach it. Kirk and Elian are both sat on the porch steps, looking to be deep in a conversation. I watch as Elian pops the lid off of a beer then angles it towards Kirk as he talks.

"Dude, is this really the right time to get whipped?" Elian asks seriously, causing me to halt in my steps just as I'm about to walk out onto the porch. Is Kirk seeing someone? Why do I suddenly feel sick at that thought?

"I'm not whipped." Kirk replies quickly, lifting his own beer to his lips and taking a long drink. "She's just... I don't know." He hesitates, actually seeming lost for words. This is the first time I've ever seen Kirk confused.

"I know, man." Elian murmurs, parting Kirk on the back as they both just stare forward, seeming to be having some kind of silent conversation.

"Uhm... guys." I finally say a minute later, deciding I should stop standing here and staring at them like a freak. Both heads turn quickly in my direction, looking a little surprised to see me stood there. "What time is it?" I ask, taking a step towards them while playing with the hem of Kirk's shirt.

"7.30." Kirk answers me after checking the watch on his wrist. "I expected you to sleep until morning." He adds, turning his body to give me his full attention.

Elian stands from his seat next to Kirk, glancing between us both before a small smile takes over his face. "I'm gunna get another beer." He says before scooting past me to get back into the house.

I walk over slowly and take the now available seat next to Kirk as he turns his attention away from me, once again looking out in front of him while he drinks his beer. A comfortable silence falls over us as he cocoons his beer between his hands, looking deep in thought. Before I second guess myself, I reach over and take the beer from his hand, bringing it to my lips and taking a gulp. My face scrunches up in disgust from the awful taste, causing Kirk to raise an amused eyebrow as I hand him back his beer.