Chapter 3

"Savannah?" Ariel calls in a shocked tone, looking like she almost walks over to me when she realises it's me that's walked into the room. She's the only person that looks surprised to see me. Dad and uncle Phil turn to me with matching accusing looks, the anger in their eyes obvious as I hang back, almost running back out of the room.

"Did you seriously think I wouldn't count the money because you sent it with a girl?" Kirk asks in an almost bored tone, obviously continuing with whatever they were talking about before I came into the room. All eyes turn back to him when he speaks, his presence demanding attention.

"I must have counted it wrong." Phil says quietly, not meeting Kirk's eyes.

"You must be really stupid to not realise you were missing a grand." The blonde guy that catcalled me adds in a disbelieving tone, his face completely serious, a complete contrast to the mischievous look I saw yesterday.

"I don't care about your excuses." Kirk says sharply before anyone else can say a word, his face suddenly looking incredibly annoyed. "You have a week to get me the last of my money, or I'm coming after you again, with weapons next time." He threatens, and I believe him.

Without another word, Kirk heads for the door, gesturing for everyone to follow him. Ariel looks torn but I give her a slight nod, telling her it's okay for her to leave. She looks like she's about to say something but stops herself, bowing her head and heading towards the door. Kirk suddenly halts as he's about to pass me.

"Goodbye, Anna." He murmurs, looking down on me with the tiniest hint of a smile before he's gone, once again leading the way as everyone leaves my house. Ariel gives me a curious look as she passes me but I shake my head slightly, signalling I'll tell her another time. She sighs quietly before she's also gone, closing my front door after her.

My body suddenly lurches towards the hallway as a hard kick hits the back of my legs, causing them to buckle underneath me. Both dad and uncle Phil are looking down on me as I stare up at them in fear. I sort of expected this to happen.

"You told them where we lived!" Phil shouts accusingly before his foot stamps down hard on my chest, knocking the wind out of me. I cry out quietly, not getting a chance to curl up before my dads foot lands on my face. Both start to kick at me, landing blows all over my body while I try to remain conscious. My vision is blurry, my brain feeling fuzzy, when a voice suddenly shouts from behind them.

"What the fuck?" Ariel shouts, the anger in her tone palpable. Before I know it, my dad is unconscious on the floor next to me from the one hard punch Ariel landed to his temple. Uncle Phil starts to run at her but he just runs straight into her fist. He stays upright, his head shaking a little from the impact. "Kirk!" Ariel shouts quickly before punching Phil in the face again, this time he drops, just as Kirk appears in the doorway. His eyes dart between all of us, registering the situation. "Pick her up." Ariel tells him as she rushes over to me, looking down at me worriedly.

"I'm fine." I whisper, using the stair railings to push myself painfully to my feet, taking deep breaths as I fight the wave of nausea. I let go of the railing, turning to them, only for the room to spin. Kirk catches me just before I drop, picking me up bridal style and carrying me out of my house, Ariel close behind us.

"What happened?" The catcalling blonde guy asks out of the passenger seat window of one of the Volvos; the other is no where to be seen. Kirk and Ariel ignore him while Ariel rushes to open the door to the back seats. She climbs in, moving to the other end of the back seat before holding her arms out for me. Kirk places me in, softly laying me down so my head lands on Ariel's lap. He closes the door as Ariel starts running her hands through my hair. "What the hell happened?" Blondie asks again once Kirk is in the drivers seat, putting his seatbelt on before starting the car.

Behind The GunOn viuen les histories. Descobreix ara