Chapter 9

Ariel

"We're taking in weapons, but only use them as a last resort. I don't want any gunfire if it's avoidable." Kirk says intently as he speaks to the whole room, briefing everyone for the rescue mission. He's compiled thirty gang members to storm the prostitution ring. We know the Mendez Brothers' numbers are low, so we don't need to outnumber them by many. They should co-operate easily. "We get in, we get Savannah, we get out. Ariel will be calling the police as soon as we're away from there. It's not our problem after that. Everyone grab a Mac-11 and two refills, then a smaller weapon for your belt. Hold any fire until I give the signal."

The gang moves orderly towards the weapons table, picking up a Mac-11 each, their refills, then a smaller weapon of their choice. I chose a hand gun as my smaller weapon. Shooting is my strongest defence.

It's been less than an hour since Jerry tracked down the prostitution ring. Kirk called over the guys straight after, before consulting with me on an action plan. It was my idea to try talking with the brothers first, knowing my brother would never think of it while he's already slightly angry. The brothers could hand Savannah over without any objection. It's unlikely but we have to consider every option.

We split up into multiple cars; Kirk, Elian and I in Kirk's Volvo. We drive a little, okay, a lot over the speed limit. I think all of us are feeling a little tense about what is about to go down. We may possibly be starting a war with another gang to get Savannah back. None of us have really thought about the consequences and I don't think we want to. At the forefront of our minds is saving Savannah. At least, it is for us, the ones who know her. Everyone else is just following Kirk's orders.

I don't think I'm the only one who's noticed the change in Kirk over the past couple of days. I'm not sure if it's just because he blames himself for Savannah being sold or if it's something deeper. My brother has always been a protector. He makes sure the people he cares about are always safe, and help them when they aren't. But, I've never seen him react like this to someone he hasn't long met before. I think Savannah has bought that same side out in all of us. Since the moment I met her, I've felt the need to protect her, I knew there was so much more she was scared of. I'm worried this will take her back to the girl she was a week ago, maybe worse.

Kirk pulls off of the highway within five minutes, leading the way down the dirt road, the rest of the gang following behind us. It's quite a way out into the land when we finally see a building. The top peeks up first over the grass, causing Kirk to speed up when he spots it, pulling up next to it a minute later.

It is a huge building, but it looks old. The outside is a dirty grey colour, with several stained windows all around the building. There's one main entrance, the doors just as old looking as the rest of the building. To anyone passing by, they would think it's abandoned. But, I imagine not many people drive down here.

Once everyone's out of the cars, we form by the doors, looking to Kirk for his instruction. He checks the load of his gun, clicking it back into place before turning to look at us all.

"Elian, Logan, take my lead. Ariel, you're with me. Cole and Dean, take the rear. Everyone else follow behind in lines of two. Keep together. Guns ready but wait for my signal. Lets go." He says briefly, looking around to make sure everyone understands before getting into the formation.

I stand next to Kirk, my gun raised, my finger sitting just before the trigger. We move quickly, storming into the building in hunched postures. The first room we see is obviously the showroom, there are poles and sections surrounded by curtains. This room is empty so we continue with out quick pace through the side door. We walk into a long corridor, multiple doors coming off of it. Elian and Logan kick each door open as we reach it, glancing inside before signalling for us to continue. Until, when Logan kicks open the final door, he storms in, all of us following in quickly after him.