Gale- Who You Are, Part 1

Start from the beginning

"That depends. It's also likely that her family will be heavily fined."

"And if they can't pay?"

"Correction school."

"Who will be there to help her, to teach her, about her casting?"

DI Mahama took a seat, facing me and answered politely. "She'll be on her own in that area. But, like the other children, a little discipline is all she'll need to set her back on the right track."

"Alright," I began, also taking a seat. "I think you're missing the point here, officer. No offence." I pressed the tips of my fingers against the table and leaned closer.

"And that would be...?"

"She's afraid and alone in this. Now, I'm not saying she shouldn't be punished, but...As you said, not many of your people are believers in the old ways. And children should be playing and laughing and, well-" I scratched at the side of my head "-being children, not criminals-"

"Miss, please. Stop right there."

"Wai-"

"A criminal is a criminal. These kids should consider themselves lucky they aren't being convicted like their older accomplices."

"I know, but-"

"But nothing."

"What do these children have to be angry about?"

"We don't know. They refuse to talk."

Slumping back down, I squeezed my eyes shut. "...Do you have any more questions for me?"

"You say you understand her abilities?"

I nodded.

"Perhaps you could be there, at the correction school."

"I could?!"

"Now, miss, hold on, I can't promise-"

"Wait. If this goes ahead, Karlton can't know," I burst.

Incredulous, DI Mahama paused, taking in a small breath. "Of course he'll know; he's the one pressing charges. Miss Boahinmaa, it's inevitable."

"I hate it when he's angry at me." At the officer's confused look, I explained further. "He really doesn't want me to be involved in this any more than necessary. But sometimes, I think he forgets that this isn't just about him."

In a few day's time, I found myself waiting in the reception area of the National Correction School for Juvenile Delinquents, an establishment that was a thirty-minute tram ride from the hotel. All in all, the building itself wasn't too intimidating and didn't stand out much from the surrounding, white-washed stone of the city's other structures. Around the school's perimeter ran sturdy, metal fencing, topped with barbed wire, and secured at various points with large locks. 

The reception was stark; the walls were green and bare, and only a few low chairs had been set up around the place.

"Alright, miss. Somebody should be out to escort you momentarily," said the receptionist. And I didn't have to wait long. Minutes later, a short man with light stubble across his jaw appeared through the door to the receptionist's right and held out his hand for me to shake.

"Pleasure to meet you. If you'd follow me..." he put an arm out, towards the door.

"Thank you." The corridors were almost as empty as the reception area, the only thing filling them being the occasional voices that would pass through the walls. Sometimes, I had the opportunity to peek through the windows and catch a glimpse of whoever was inside. Most of the time, I wasn't spared a glance.

Finally, we arrived in a small, outdoor enclosure, surrounded on all sides by the tall, white walls of the school. I'd only expected to find Nene there, maybe with a few supervisors. But, no. Instead, a group of five children in grey jumpsuits sat on the benches quietly, only turning their heads once I was about two metres away.

"They can't all be casters, can they?" I asked from the side of my mouth.

"They are. I'll be with the other supervisors. Good luck." My escort stepped away to join the men and women stationed by the enclosure's only entrance.

"Good morning, everyone. My name is Boahinmaa, but you can call me Bo," I introduced myself, speaking in a voice that projected more confidence than I truly felt.

A few of the older children turned their eyes away, but some of the younger ones still looked on in curiosity.

"You."

It was Nene who stepped forward, scrutinising my face with ill-concealed hostility.

"Before we start, I just want to clarify that your sessions with me are optional. I don't want any of you to feel as though you're being forced to stay here. So, if any of you would rather leave now, please feel free."

One of the older boys, a spindly teenager, pushed himself up and shrugged his shoulders. "Let's get this over with." The boy shoved his hands into the pockets of his jumpsuit.

"Oh, ah, apologies. I forgot to ask your names. Let's start with...you."

"The name's Sekou." A short boy, around nine years of age, clicked his fingers at me.

"I'm Aminata," said a girl with frizzy hair sprawled over her shoulders. I'd have to remember to have her tie it back.

"Call me Hawa." This girl bounced on the heels of her feet and was easily the most excited of all those gathered.

"I'm Adama," introduced another, pushing up her spectacles with a thick hand.

"You already know me." Nene.

"Oumar," finished the boy who'd just stood up.

"Okay, so tell me, what kind of casters are you?"

One of the girls put her hand up. "So you're talking about what can we move with our hands?"

"Precisely."

"That," she flicked back her mass of hair, "makes me a water caster."

Sekou put up his hand. "My sister and I are fire casters."

"Are there any wind casters here?"

Uncertainly, the children glanced at one another, then Oumar stated, "We're all fire casters, apart from Aminata."

"Is anyone here a dual-caster. Or, a tri-caster, perhaps?" Sekou and Hawa lifted their hands.

"My sister and I can control water, too. But I think fire's easier for the both of us. Right, Sis?" Sekou looked to Hawa.

"Yup."

"Okay, so everyone is an elemental. Not a problem. All of you, come forward and sit with me," I asked, adjusting the hem of my sundress and lowering myself onto the massive stone tile beneath my feet. "Try to keep away from the grass."

Most of them cooperated, though Oumar felt more inclined to stretch out against the ground and lay his head over his arms. He didn't realise that we were all waiting for him before he bothered to turn his head to one side.

"Can I help you, lady?"

"Excuse me?"

Rolling his eyes, he turned his whole body away, catching the attention of a supervisor. One stern look from her prompted him to sit up properly at least.

It was going to be a long day.

*

Discussion: And so we meet the kids! What are your first impressions?

Feel free to comment and vote if you enjoyed this chapter!