Chapter 34 ♕ A Child at Heart (pt. 1)

Start from the beginning

"What?" He demanded.

Three men dressed in flashy garbs stood before him, a bright line shining at his eyes. He squinted and cowered away from the intensity of the radiance before covering his line of sight in order to properly take in the appearance of yet another disturbance.

"We come bearing gifts for the birth of the chosen one." They crooned.

He hissed. "Who are you?"

"We are the three kings." Answered the first voice. "We were guided by the light of the shining northern star. Ah, we traveled from afar."

Light? Light? A star? What kind of atrocity?

"Please accept us into your humble home and allow us to deliver our presents for the young one."

"What chosen one?" He asked.

"He is a miracle born into this world."

"One who will rid this world of all things evil."

"Guide the hearts of those who are lost."

The light then dimmed slowly, allowing Faolan to regain his proper line of sight. He then took in the appearance of the so-called three kings standing before him and frowned. They come bearing gifts? Faolan scrutinized their appearances. One had reddish hair and auburn eyes with a gentlemanly smile on his lips, the second had blond hair and blue eyes with a knowing smile, while the last also had reddish hair that was shades darker and browner than the first. The last bore a mischievous grin—and that did not make him feel right.

There was a hint of familiarity he knew he saw somewhere.

"We are surprised." Said the first one with the auburn eyes.

"You have a very sympathetic heart."

"For a demon." Added the mischievous-looking boy.

"A demon?" Faolan narrowed his eyes at them with suspicion. He stepped backward, his hackles rising as he drew the weapons he hid under his sleeves. He took a defensive position and glared at the three who stood at his door.

The smiles disappeared on their lips and the one in the middle harshly elbowed the one who last spoke.

"Firstly," he started. "No one in this city knows that I am a demon because of the spell I put on the citizens in exception for a special few with strong magical capabilities—but I already took care of them. Those who were here during the day of the black snow can only see me as an ordinary citizen. Yet you . . ."

"It seems as though we were found out." The blue-eyed blonde told his comrades as they shed their disguises and went back to their usual getup. "Took you long enough."

Faolan growled as he felt a muscle under his eye tick in annoyance. "The Celestial Twelve."

The blonde took out his glasses and put them on, rearranging them smartly over his eyes. He then brushed his locks into place, letting the partings fall back into their usual position. The other two did so as well, and he recognized them immediately.

Charles von Versailles de la Vernados. The one endowed with a manipulative mind and inherent skills in the areas concerning logic and other things—ranking fourth among the circle but first in academics.

Rowe von Valdemar de la Nevan. He who wore the façade of a gentleman and a well-mannered noble to hide his cruelty and selfishness—a man unafraid to do what was needed to be done for the sake of his people.

Zevlin Sabian. The oldest of the Sabian twins who held a firm conviction to protect those important to him—mischievous and a force to reckon with.