Chapter 27 ♕ Team Up

They trekked the grounds that led to the direction Rowe's group pursued. Valeriana needed Aden to guide her as she wasn't very familiar with the grounds. They had to go back to the very entrance of the city where the fork on the road came, splitting into different paths.

Valeriana and Aden broke into a run, with Iolani flying behind them. The girl had hopes of catching up to the others to inform them about what was going on, hence, she looked up at Tamara's familiar and decided for the best.

"Iolani, why don't you go ahead and inform Rowe about what happened?" She asked.

'As thou wishest.'

The bird bobbed its head at her and did as she was told, soaring swiftly through the air with her large wings.

Fact was, if each of the groups were being attacked one by one, then what of Rowe's group? The girl had her doubts about them being next on the 'attack' list and she couldn't afford to let anything happen to them.

"Iolani's the perfect messenger bird." She muttered. "But we gotta do our best too. Come on, Aden."

Aden ran slightly behind her, panting. Sweat broke on his forehead and trickled down the sides of his face as he wearily followed the girl. He was already panting like a dog as he continued to run alongside of Valeriana and looked more than ready to collapse.

"I-I'm sorry . . . miss." He beseeched, reaching out for her back. "I am not as fast as you are and I do not think I have the same endurance as you do."

She slowed and stared dubiously at him. "Are you kidding me? I usually had to have Corvan slow down for me!"

"Y-you . . ." His knees shook visibly. "Seeing as you're one of the Twelve, it's no wonder."

Valeriana quirked a brow at this. "Are you alright?"

He bent his back forward and rested his hands on his knees, wiping his forehead with the back of his hand. "I'm alright. Please go on and leave me behind. I'll catch up." He nodded encouragingly at her, pushing her to run.

"I don't think I can leave you here." The girl replied with slight hesitance.

"Go." He said. "I swear I'll be right behind you."

"Are you sure?"

"Yes."

"Then, I'll be going ahead."

Valeriana disapproved of leaving anyone behind, but seeing as she was in a rush and Aden himself told her to go ahead, she had no choice but to do so.

Aden watched her disappear. When he was certain the girl was out of sight, he leaned against the nearest tree and sank down, muttering angrily. "How could she last so long running that far and not even break a sweat? God, those people are monsters."

"Leader," someone called from above. "Should we move?"

"Patience." He looked up at the tree to find a pair of eyes staring at him past the branches. "Those people got overwhelmed, too. That girl was the only one immune from among all of them, and her conversation with that bird—I hardly got anything. Just standby and wait. I still have to see if these people are worth the risk."

With that, he stood up and headed out.

Valeriana breezed through the open pathway, past numerous trees and falling autumn leaves. There were crunches that resounded beneath the soles of her shoes as her feet continued to pound against the ground, fragments of dried leaves flying behind her as she continued to run. Her breathing slowly became labored, sweat soaking her back from the exercise.