Chapter 20 ♕ To Preluresia We Go!

The literally faint form of Rowe standing before her seemed almost surreal. She doubted if she could even believe what she was seeing. The fact that she could even see right through him was freaky enough to make her feel somewhat . . . hesitant. But then again, this was considered as Rowe's ability. His very soul was present before them, the essence of his very existence.

"Wow, Rowe." She breathed as she looked him over from head to toe. "You're glowing."

"Thank you, dear Valeriana." He replied charmingly, flashing his trademark smile at her.

His voice almost felt nonexistent.

"I mean that quite literally."

Tamara howled in laughter her statement. "Did you know that you just made an epic joke, Valeriana?!" She wheezed. "Good lords, you're funny."

In exception for a few smiles and a giggle from Genevieve, nobody spoke. The tendency of Valeriana to speak unintended jokes was amusing.

Rowe chuckled. "I came here since I wanted to know if there was any news regarding your sudden disappearance." He then looked at her guiltily. "I'm sorry I was unable to do anything. Despite being one of the Twelve, my abilities are not entirely meant for engagement in battle in exception for my skills in weaponry and hand-to-hand combat. I was preoccupied dealing with the demon that I somehow was too late."

"That's alright, Rowe. You did nothing wrong." Valeriana kindly said.

"As you can see, I cannot stay long. I'm currently bed-ridden."

"What? Why?" She asked. "Did you get wounded or something?"

"Do not fret, Valeriana. I merely caught a cold." He laughed, humor lacing his tone.

"A cold?" Elfre repeated. "Why would you catch a cold?"

"Somehow imagining you lying under the covers with a damp cloth on your head is rather unusual." Raziel told him. "It's unlike you to get sick."

"I agree." The twins chorused.

The second-ranker merely shook his head and smiled. "It's not unusual at all. I have someone taking care of me though, of course."

"You haven't answered my question yet." Elfre said.

"Yes. Well, I jumped into the water in an attempt to search for Valeriana. I failed, though."

"Knight-in-shining-armor!" Genevieve squealed while Zevlin merely rolled his eyes.

"What? You shouldn't have." Valeriana gaped at Rowe, her gaze worried and guilty. "Are you alright?"

"It's just a simple fever that forced me to lie down. Nothing serious."

"I really appreciate it though." Valeriana pursed her lips. "To think you even went as far as that . . . I really thank you."

Rowe nodded. "Anything for you, Valeriana. Now, I really should be going."

"Get well soon."

"Keelan says hi. And it seems His Highness was worried as well. He didn't help in the search for you, though. He said that you were strong enough to survive on your own."

"Bluffing?"

"Don't be too cruel to the old man, you guys." Tamara sighed.

"Says the one who called the old man old." Replied Elfre.

"Uh . . . you did, too."

Valeriana paid no mind to them, though. "He was worried?"

"He was." He nodded. "Aneeka said nothing, but I'm sure she's concerned as well. I can't tell anything about Brindon. He's only been unnaturally even more silent when you fell from the ship."