Chapter 12 ♕ The Scarring Lion

After returning to their given rooms, Valeriana took her much needed bath before they were eventually called down for dinner. Her hair still somewhat damp from a relaxing soak, she slipped into some gown Tabina lent while her clothes were still being washed. It was hard only having a single set of clothes since she never actually expected to stay out for more than a few hours.

"Dinner will arrive shortly." Said Farron as he took his seat on the very end of the table. "For now, please help yourself to some bread and butter."

Elfre glanced at Charles's direction repeatedly and swallowed hard, not bothering to hide the fact that she felt nervous of whatever sermon he had in store for them.

Keelan moaned in frustration and looked at Corvan pleadingly. "Hmmm."

Exhaling heavily, Corvan flicked his hand once and the glowing strip vanished. Keelan rejoiced and gratefully thanked the first-ranker before lunging for the loaf of bread in front of him. Aneeka, who was sitting beside Keelan, hit him on the shoulder.

"Manners, Keelan! Manners!"

Farron laughed at this. "I'm reminded that I have not met all of you just yet."

"You're already acquainted with Rowe, Corvan, Tamara, and Valeriana." Charles said. "Why not start, Raziel? I'm sure you're very much looking forward to do so."

"Why, of course." Raziel flashed his best smile and started blabbering away, much to everyone's annoyance.

Valeriana looked questioningly around. She surely didn't remember Corvan introducing himself to Charles's so-called friend. But then again, she was immersed in a conversation with Genevieve that time to actually be aware of what happened before she introduced herself and the . . . sudden proposal.

She tugged on the sleeve of her borrowed clothes, feeling somewhat uncomfortable having to wear a dress. The only occasions in which she wore such things were the parties and different events that required formal wear—especially the meeting with the king. Other than that, she didn't prefer to be dressed in similar attires akin to billowing skirts and frilly gowns. She often tripped on lengthy fabrics clumsily, and that happened a couple of times during her dinner with King Laedin.

Without her realizing, Lienhard entered the room free from the concealment of his hood. His golden hair and eyes blended with the lights which glowed in a similar hue. The illumination was given off by the candles the chandelier held while it was hoisted on the ceiling directly above the dinner table.

His sudden appearance caught Farron by surprise.

He coughed. "Golden eyes? You . . . aren't royalty by any chance, are you?"

"You can just call me Lienhard." The man answered with a grin.

"The king's brother!" He practically jumped off of his seat.

Lienhard stopped beside him, clamping his hands down heavily on his shoulders that the impact resonated throughout the dining area before he eventually forced him back down to sit. "Relax, you need not do anything. Treat me like you would treat any normal guest. Are we clear with that, young man?"

"I . . . suppose so."

Dinner went by weirdly and quite awkwardly that barely anyone spoke—until Charles asked Tamara and the others what they were doing earlier. This question made Tamara choke on her meal and the others stop short, fleeting eyes exchanging looks before the girl finally answered.

"We came around by chance and accidentally heard you."

"So you decided to listen in?" He continued, never ceasing from eating his dinner but only spoke after he swallowed.