He said in hushed tones, "We know where to start now, at least. We'll find that girl, even if it takes a while. Let's just hope she and her family aren't here illegally; we're up to our knees as it is." He looked away and addressed the others, "Alright, men, it's time we head back."

The three of them came together, talking quietly.

So I'd played my part. As far as Karlton was concerned, I had nothing more to offer. "And when you find her, and her accomplices, what will you do? Arrest her?"

"Yes," one of the officers confirmed absently, still partly engaged in conversation with the others.

"Should I leave?"

"I'm coming," Karlton said, stepping forward.

"I can go alone."

"Don't be stupid," he muttered irritably. "It's too dangerous for someone to be wandering around on their own at this time. Officers, you'll be fine from here?"

"Of course, Mr Jones. Have a good night."

"Just one more thing: keep an eye out for anything burnt, especially on ground level. It might help you find her," I informed, leaving with Karlton.

~

"You know what's strange? We didn't see one person about. It's almost as if everyone decided to hide," I said, my voice so light and wispy that I might as well have said nothing at all. "Karlton, don't you think it's strange?"

In response, he strode faster so that I would've had to scurry to keep up. I didn't. Instead, I focused on the moonlight that shone through the gaps in the wooden canopy above.

"Bo." I almost bumped into Karlton's back as he stopped. "What does it matter? I have enough on my mind already."

"I am trying to help you."

"Please. Let's not do this. Look, we can still work this out."

"And then what?" He rotated on his heel to face me.

"Can't we-"

"Should we just- just drink citrus bubbles and laugh the rest of our lives away, pretending that you're not at all miserable?! In case you didn't notice, friendships aren't supposed to be all peaches and rainbows!" Tears stung at the corner of my eyes as my voice became thicker. Throwing up my arms, I continued, "I want something real! I want..." Even through the haze of red-hot anger engulfing me, I saw the frustration build in Karlton's own features until he snapped. Glowering, he advanced, almost backing me up against the wall of the apartment behind us.

" 'I want'. Well, in case you hadn't noticed, I want a break. When I first met you, you weren't like this at all- so needy and prying; you just gave me your drink and sat there. You waited for me to speak. What's happened to you?"

My lips flew open. "But-"

"No, forget that." Karlton pinched the bridge of his nose, exhaled deeply. "Why is my life any of your business in the first place? Save for our first encounter, you know next to nothing about me."

"You didn't push me away," I murmured quietly.

"I'm sorry?"

"When we first met," I started, louder, "you could have told me to get out and leave you alone. But you didn't. Why?"

"I- because..." He wavered. "Listen here, and listen good. I wasn't myself; I hadn't seen any of this shit coming. That still gives you no right to try and get things out of me now."

"I was just trying to help."

"If you really want to help me, give me some peace, okay? Sit with me, talk to me about other things, I don't know."

"This is what you want?"

"It is."

"Fine, then."

"Give me some time to come to terms with things on my own." Karlton's voice cracked, though his face remained impassive.

He sounded so broken that ice-cold guilt darted through me. No matter what I tried, he only seemed to spiral further into the depths of his personal torment. But I'd been doing things my way, and perhaps my way hadn't been right. "I'll do as you ask."

Karlton paused for a heartbeat, looking down. "When we get the girl, I'll let you know."

Pursing my lips, I glanced at him from beneath my eyelids.

"She attacked you." He reached out tentatively, tracing the skin beneath my swollen eye. "It's only fair."

I nodded, moving to one side to give him space as he walked beside me. Once we arrived back at The Zendua's reception area, Karlton gently gripped onto my wrist and tugged me closer to him as he strode away from the path of oncoming guests.

"I know I didn't get to spend much time with you over the past couple of days, but we could do something now if you like," he suggested.

"What do you have in mind?"

"We could get some food, go swimming again maybe."

"You know, I think I'll just sit around in one of the lounges. You're free to join me."

"I'll take you up on that. I've got some books to catch up on," he said.

"Oh, and if you're not too busy tomorrow, I'd like your assistance with a few things."

"And what might they be?"

"Tell me, how does one 'develop' a photograph?"

*

Discussion: Things with Nene seem to be running quite deeper than earlier suggested. What do you make of this?

Feel free to comment and vote if you enjoyed this chapter!