tunnels

❝ And follow the bloody Crank noise? Why cant we just follow the butterflies? ❞

v. TUNNELS

╳╳╳

HAND IN HAND, CALLY RUSHES to stay in pace with Newt. His long legs letting him stride ahead causing him to pull the girl behind him. She notices something about him, how with every other step he would dip down. As if he favorited one of his legs more than the other making him have a slight limp.

Cally's heart is pounding, exhaustion weakens her body with every new step she endures. She can't remember the last time she has run this hard, or for this long. These boys around her, even Jorge and the girl she hasn't yet learned the name of, aren't winded one bit.

She hopes that Brenda is somewhere behind them, that Thomas will keep his promise and stay safe at least. But by the sound of boots hitting the ground behind them sends a reassuring jolt through her body.

The beam from Jorge's flashlight zigzags back and forth as he keeps his pace in the front of the group. Every so often they will make sharp turns, like in a maze as they made their way to where ever Jorge is leading them.

The air began to cool the more they ran, Cally doesn't know if it was the fact she was finally getting used to running or something else. With every deep breath, she regains her strength only for it to quickly evaporate like water. So, when Jorge finally comes to a stop, she rejoices.

Her hands are sweating and so is the hand that is still holding Cally's. Quickly, she jerks her hand away, happy about the lack of light so she doesn't have to see Newt's face. The pressure of which he was holding her hand, made her want to grab it again. She finds herself feeling lonely without the embrace.

Jorge, on instinct, turns around. His flashlight pointing behind her, landing on two girls that Cally doesn't ever remember witnessing. Her heart drops and she instantly regrets her hope that it could have possibly been Brenda and Thomas.

"Who are you?" Jorge asks his voice hard and questioning, his light is trained on the older girl. Her brown eyes stare back at him and seem unaffected by the brightness. The female looks to be 5'4 and around the same age as Cally. Quickly, she notices how thick the girl's eyelashes are and makes note of it. Her brown eyes remind her of chocolate, Cally can faintly remember the taste of it.

Cally's hazel eyes trail down the girl's arm, leading to a little girl who is almost hidden by the leg of her protector. Of what Cally can see if her, she looks young— very young possibly around the age of 4. Her large blue eyes watch Minho as if she already adores the man. Maybe they know each other.